Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get paid?

You will need to complete a ‘Payroll Start Up Form’ to enable our Salaries Office to pay you on the last banking day of each month that you are employed here. If you do not have a National Insurance number, you will need to contact the National Insurance Helpdesk in Cardiff on (029) 2042 3097 or 2081 2906.  This form will have been sent to you with your contract, however should you require another copy this can be down loaded from the HR Webpage under the ‘Information for Staff’ documents and forms section.

How do I ensure I am taxed correctly?

If you are leaving another UK employer to come to work at Cardiff University, your previous employer will complete a P45 Form giving details of your pay and tax deducted.  In order for you to be taxed correctly we will require a P45 Form as soon as possible.  If a P45 Form is not applicable, then a P46 Form (available from Human Resources) will need to be completed.

If you require further information please contact our Salaries Office on Cardiff (029) 2087 4132.

What is A& I?

The A & I, or Asylum and Immigration Check is a requirement of UK legislation that only those legally entitled to live and work in the UK can commence employment. CHECKS ARE MADE ON ALL EMPLOYEES. If at any time it is found that you do not have current and valid permission to be in the UK or that the permission you have excludes you from taking this specific job, this contract will be invalid or, if it is already in force, it will be terminated.

Please provide documentary evidence that you have permission to work in the UK on or before your first day of work. 

How do I join or opt out of the University Pension Scheme?

In the majority of cases the University will deem new members of staff into the appropriate pension scheme, unless an ‘Election Not to Join’ form is completed.  Staff who work irregular patterns (for example, working different hours each week, or working on a Semester-Time Only basis) will not be entered into the appropriate pension scheme automatically, but will be required to complete a Joining Form.  Please see the enclosed information for more details.  For any pension queries, please contact our Pensions Office on Cardiff (029) 2087 4397.

What is my annual leave entitlement?

Your annual leave entitlement is dependant upon your job category, full details, to include bank holiday and University closures dates can be found on the staff holiday page.

How do I obtain a University Identity Card?

All staff are required to obtain an Identity Card.  Please bring the ‘Welcome to Cardiff University’ paper which accompanied your contract to the Human Resources Office, we will endorse it and then you can take it to our Security Centre, to obtain a University Identity Card.  The Security Centre is located in the Biomedical Building, Park Place, (opposite 52 Park Place).  (Disabled access is at the back of the building via a ramp leading from Park Place).  It is open daily between the hours of 9.00am and 4.30pm. 

If you are based at the Heath Park site you will also need a joint NHS Trust / Cardiff University Identity Card.  After this form is endorsed, please take it to the Portering / Security Control Room (ID Office) on the Upper Ground Floor, Main Building, Heath Park site, tel. (029) 2074 6113. 

Related Links