Welsh Language Staff Network Group
The Welsh Language Staff Network is open to all members of staff, academic and support, and to Welsh speakers, Welsh learners and non-Welsh speakers alike.
This network is a chance to get together and share ideas on how to identify opportunities to enhance the University's Equality and Diversity Strategy and Policy of treating both the Welsh and English languages on the basis of equality in the University.
With the establishment of the Welsh Language Commissioner, there will be a new statutory framework for policy in the University as we move from Welsh Language Schemes to Standards.
The Network is a valuable platform for such discussions.
Copies of the Network’s minutes can be found on the Staff Network webpage www.cardiff.ac.uk/for/staff/networks
Here are some examples of our achievements, discussions and responses during the 2011/12 academic year:
- Cardiff University Welsh Language Scheme – offered advice and constructive feedback
- Research Council Committee’s Welsh Language Scheme – responded to consultation
A special meeting was held with Professor Terry Threadgold, Pro Vice-Chancellor for Equality and Diversity, to discuss:
- The University’s Welsh Language Scheme
- The need for an internal translation unit
- The need for Welsh Language and Culture Awareness training for CU staff
- The appointment of a member of the Network to the Equality and Diversity Committee
Dates of next meetings:
4th December 2012 1pm – Heath Campus
February 2013 - With Meri Huws, Language Commissioner (re-arranged)
14th May 2013 1pm – Cathays Park Campus
The present Chair is Dr Simon Brooks and secretary is Elliw Iwan. Elections will be held in October to elect new Network Officers for 2012-13.
We welcome new members, email firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
To view this page in Welsh please click here