Disability Staff Network
Dates of Meetings for 2015/16 (provisional):
- Wed 30 Sept 2015- 2-4pm Venue to be arranged
- Wed 11 Nov 2015 - 2-4pm Venue to be arranged
- Feb 2016 TBA - 2-4pm
- April 2016 TBA - 2-4pm
Our self-organised Network is for staff who identify themselves as disabled, have long-term physical or mental health impairments, or whose personal experience of disability issues means that they want to make a contribution to the disability agenda. Our meetings are held in a confidential environment, members do not need to have visible impairments and are not expected to discuss any personal information unless they wish to do so.
Our aims are to:
• provide a mutually supportive environment for sharing workplace experiences and concerns;
• increase understanding of disability and disability rights within the University community;
• offer a channel through which people can raise concerns relating to disability and employment at Cardiff University;
• participate in reviewing the implementation of University provision in the area of disability;
• propose appropriate procedures and protocols promoting disability equality within the University.
To reflect this, and to allow an appropriate setting for sharing, our meetings are divided into two parts. The first hour is open to only to staff members identifying as disabled, while people with business interests are welcome to join us for the second hour. Examples of some of the issues addressed during the latter include accessibility across the estate and the impact of University policies on disabled staff’s experience.
Meetings are arranged by the Chair, who also facilitates the membership’s shared responsibility for engagement in reviews, proposals, consultations and response to enquiries. This ensures representation in relation to a range of impairments and, in the spirit of 'nothing about us without us', seeks to achieve the meaningful, collaborative and sustained involvement of disabled people. We work to the social model of disability and support this principle being adopted within the University's Strategic Equality Scheme.
If you would like to come to any of our meetings please contact Catrin Morgan (E&D Manager) 029 2087 0230 MorganCA5@cardiff.ac.uk
Cardiff University is committed to improving physical access to facilities and aims to meet the requirements of all potential users. As such, the Estates Department are currently implementing a programme of adjustments to the estate and are constantly improving accessibility.
Recent refurbishments have improved access through the installation of automatic entrance doors, motorised doors, ramps and stair lift platforms. Buildings have been re-decorated, induction loops fitted in all lecture theatres and disabled toilet facilities have been installed and upgraded.
For more information and to find out about the accessibility of various building, please see the Estates web pages.