Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


Your questions answered

Postgraduate Open Day 2015: Visit us on 25 November 2015 - book your place now!

Living in Cardiff

As a postgraduate, can I live in University accommodation?

All non-UK postgraduate students are guaranteed a single occupancy place in University residences if they submit an online application and make a pre-payment in line with the deadline relevant to that session.

Unfortunately, we are unable to guarantee UK postgraduates a place in University residences. For further information on the guarantee of residences, the range of University residences available and associated residences fees, please visit the Residences website.

Read more about various accommodation options.

Is there much private accommodation available?

Yes. Cardiff is fortunate to have plenty of private accommodation which is available to students, particularly in the Cathays and Roath areas of the city. Our Residences Office distributes a list of private accommodation to postgraduate students in August each year and the Student Union runs its own letting agency. In addition, there are a few private halls of residence across Cardiff.

Read more about the various accommodation options.

What does rent cost in Cardiff?

Cardiff is known as an affordable capital city and has competitive rent prices in comparison to many other university cities. However, the cost of living can vary significantly depending on the type of accommodation and the area in which you choose to live.

For more details, please see our living costs page.

Will I have to pay council tax?

If you are a full-time postgraduate student, you are not liable to pay Council Tax during your studies. Part-time students are still liable for Council Tax but may be eligible for housing benefits, please contact your local Jobcentre.

If you are going to be a full-time postgraduate, you will automatically receive a Council Tax exemption certificate from the University. You can also request the certificate from within your Student Record.

What childcare facilities are available?

The University has its own Day Care centre, located centrally at 43-45 Park Place (virtually opposite the University's Main Building). It provides facilities for the children of Cardiff University students and staff, with priority given to the children of full-time students.

What extracurricular activities can I get involved in?

Cardiff University Students' Union supports a huge range of activities that any student at Cardiff University can get involved with, including a seemingly endless list of societies and sport clubs as well as award-winning student media and volunteering opportunities.

The Students' Union also organises an annual Freshers' Fortnight, introducing you to all that is available. For more information, check out the website.

How can I meet postgraduates from outside my Academic School?

A good place to start is the Postgrad Welcome Fortnight, organised by the Graduate Centre in September each year.

In addition to these introductory events, the Graduate Centre runs various social events throughout the year, with the aim of helping students meet others outside their academic School.

What services does the Graduate Centre offer?

The Graduate Centre supports our academic Schools by offering additional resources of space, study and social facilities, workshops and events for postgraduate students. Most notably, these events include an induction programme at the start of each academic year to help new students find their way around the campus and the city, and the 'Starting Out' conference.

Ask a question

If you've got a question that isn't answered here, ask our Postgraduate team.