Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


Funding & fees

Postgraduate Open Day 2015: Visit us on 25 November 2015 - book your place now!

Funding options

Funding for your postgraduate degree is available from a variety of sources.

Research Council funding

The seven Research Councils in the UK provide government funding for postgraduate study for UK and EU students directly to research organisations, including Cardiff University. This funding is not normally available for students outside of the EU.

The Research Councils administer their studentships through universities that have proven records of excellent postgraduate training undertaken in a context of world-class research.

We are the lead partner in the Economic and Social Research (ESRC) Wales Doctoral Training Centre (DTC), and are involved in a range of other Doctoral Training Partnerships (DTP), Centres for Doctoral Training (CDT) and individual industrial partnerships. We have studentships available from:

Charities, trusts and other external bodies

Our 4 year PhD in Integrative Neuroscience is supported by the Wellcome Trust, the UK's largest provider of non governmental funding for scientific research.

In addition, there are numerous organisations offering alternative sources of funding for postgraduate courses. These awards are unlikely to cover full expenses but offer help towards overall costs.

The Alternative Guide to Postgraduate Funding, a free eBook available to current Cardiff University students, applicants and prospective students, provides guidance and advice on writing funding applications and contains links to over 300 alternative funding bodies.

In addition, Cardiff University subscribes to ResearchProfessional providing access to their research funding and news service for current students of Cardiff University.

Part-time employment

Many postgraduates take paid employment while pursuing their studies.

Professional and career development loans

We are a Professional and Career Development Loans registered Learning Provider, registration number 8655. A Professional and Career Development Loan is a commercial bank loan that you can use to help pay for work-related learning. For further information on financial assistance to support your learning, please visit the website or contact the National Careers Service on 0800 100 900.

Funding for study and research abroad

A range of organisations provide funding to promote cultural exchange and international mobility in research and teaching. These funding opportunities are generally for doctoral students wishing to conduct part of their studies or research abroad.


Crowdfunding is an alternative way of raising finance to fund your studies. It involves fundraising, encouraging donations of small amounts of money from a large amount of people, which are then used towards the cost of your degree.