Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu

How to apply

Study Abroad (JYA)

How to apply

Girl at computer - 500x280

You can apply to study abroad for the whole academic year or for either the Fall or Spring semester.

Entry requirements

Applications are welcomed from high-calibre candidates with the required entrance grades.

Cardiff University generally requires study abroad students to have completed two years of a university or college degree, and have a GPA of 3.0 or above.

Some departments may require a slightly higher GPA. Please also note that in order to study some modules you may be required to show background knowledge in that subject area.

If you have a query about the suitability of your qualifications please contact us by emailing

Please note that the Study Abroad program is only available to overseas students from countries outside of the EU, wishing to study at Cardiff University for either a semester or a full year as part of their full degree elsewhere.

If you are from the EU and are interested in becoming an occasional student, please email If you are not from the EU and wish to apply to Cardiff University for a full degree, please click here.

How to apply

  1. Make sure you are aware of the application deadlines. The application deadline for the Fall semester/Full Year is the 30th April preceding. The application deadline for the Spring semester is the 31st October preceding. You may also find it useful to check the University's semester dates.
  2. Build your study abroad program and select your modules from the online module catalogue. You are required to list your provisional module choices by order of preference on your application form, and also select two additional modules in case of timetable clashes.
  3. Complete the online application and read the application guidance notes.  
  4. Ask for an academic reference, which can be uploaded during the online application process, or emailed to
    After you apply the Study Abroad Office will send you further information including (if you are accepted) information on how to apply for University accommodation and details of your orientation program.

One of the most important considerations is your visa. You will need a visa to study in the UK which you will need to get before coming to the UK. The visa type will depend on your nationality, the length of your study and what you wish to do while you are here.

Read more information on visas for Study Abroad students.

Study Abroad (JYA)