Entrance requirements for undergraduate courses (ie BSc/BA) vary according to the programme applied for and the background of the applicant. As a general rule admissions tutors will use the following guide:
- Hong Kong A-Level (HKALE) are considered equivalent to GCE A-levels, except in Mathematics and some science subjects, where the grading for HKALE is considered to be higher. (i.e. grade C in HKALE Mathematics is considered to equivalent to grade B GCE A-level). A minimum of 3 full A-level subjects is usually required.
- Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) - Cardiff University welcomes applications from students holding or studying for the HKDSE. Entry requirements for individual programmes will vary, however students will be expected to achieve 5*55 - 444 in three subjects (including at least two electives), depending on the chosen programme of study.
Postgraduate taught courses
Entrance requirements for taught postgraduate programmes (ie Masters courses) vary according to the course applied for and the background of the applicant. As a general rule admissions tutors would ask that the following conditions be met:
- Academic Entry Requirements - Successful completion of a relevant bachelors degree from a recognised institution, with a good GPA (typically 3.00 or above) or a 2:1 classification.
Postgraduate research programmes
As a general rule students applying for research programmes from Hong Kong should be able to provide evidence that they have already carried out research, usually via the successful completion of a relevant Masters degree. Please also read the additional advice on how to apply for a research programme.
- Academic Entry Requirements - Successful completion of a relevant bachelors degree from a recognised institution, with a good GPA and possibly also successful completion of a relevant Masters programme from a recognised institution.
A relevant English Language Qualification may also be required — normally a minimum of 6.5 IELTS, however, this may vary from course to course.
If you are unsure of your qualifications or entry requirements please contact the International Office.
Ms Sian Keepin from the International Office will be travelling to Hong Kong in July to hold the 2015 pre-departure briefing.
The aim of the briefing is to:
- ensure that you have all the information you need about life and study at Cardiff
- advise you on what you need to do to prepare for your trip
- enable you to meet other students who will be coming to Cardiff this year
- allow you to ask any questions you might have to a Cardiff University representative
The briefing session will take place on Friday 17th July.
For more information and to book your place click here.