Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


Coming to Cardiff

Can I work while I am studying in Cardiff?

You will need to check the sticker in your passport.

If you have entered the UK on a Tier 4 student visa for more than 6 months and your passport sticker says "Work (and any changes) must be authorised" or "Able to work as authorised by the Secretary of State" or "Restricted work in term-time", you are allowed to work.

A restriction means that you can work without obtaining permission for a restricted number of hours a week during term-time. The number of hours you can work during term-time varies depending on whether you are studying at degree or below degree level:

  • If you have a Tier 4 student visa and are studying at degree level (for example an undergraduate or postgraduate degree), then you are allowed to work up to 20 hours a week during term-time, and full-time during your holidays, a work placement or an internship.
  • If you have a Tier 4 student visa and you are studying below degree level, (for example, an English language presessional or Bridge course or International Foundation Programme) then you are only allowed to work up to 10 hours a week during term-time and full-time during the holidays.

If your passport sticker or identity card says "No work", you must not work in the UK. This would be a breach of your immigration conditions, which is a criminal offence.

If you have entered the UK as a "Student Visitor" you are not allowed to work in the UK (paid or unpaid) or do any work placement as part of your course.

If you are uncertain of the meaning of the statement placed in your passport regarding permission to work, please check when you arrive in Cardiff with the International Student Advisory Team in the Student Support Centre

For more information about working during your studies see:

Also see:

« Return to living in Cardiff homepage