Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


Coming to Cardiff

Do I need any vaccinations or health checks?

We recommend that you are vaccinated against tuberculosis, tetanus, polio, diphtheria, meningitis C and measles, mumps and rubella (MMR).

Current advice is that 2 doses of the MMR vaccine are needed to give you adequate protection. For students studying medicine, dentistry, nursing and other health-related courses please check the immunisation details requested on the Pre-Course Occupational Health Questionnaire sent to you.

These precautions are necessary to ensure that you are properly protected from potentially serious illness.

We strongly advise you to check with your doctor before leaving for Cardiff to confirm that these immunisations are up-to-date. If you have any queries about the vaccinations you require, please contact the University Health Centre by email

Tuberculosis (TB) certificate (if applicable)

Residents from some countries are required to obtain a certificate confirming they are free from infectious TB before applying for a visa. For the most up to date list of countries which require a TB cerficate visit:

The test includes having a chest X-ray at an accredited clinic or hospital run by the International Organisation for Migration.

If your country is not listed but you are from the Indian Subcontinent, Africa or countries that have tuberculosis (TB), we recommend that you have an up-to-date chest X-ray certificate and medical report that is less than 3 months old. If you do not have this information you may have to have a chest X-ray and medical examination before you are allowed to pass through immigration at a UK airport.

Also see: