Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu

Compare residences


Private sector

Row of terraced Victorian town houses

The Residences Office produces lists of accommodation available in the Private Sector. This is a free service to Cardiff University students and therefore students are not required to pay a finders fee/administration charge for properties found via the lists. The lists are updated weekly, on a Friday, and are available throughout the year.

How can I get a list?

If you are a current Cardiff University student you can access the Private Sector Listings via the web using your University login and password.
If you are a prospective student you can request a list by emailing and quoting your name and student number.
The lists are also available to collect from the Residences Office at Southgate House (Talybont North) or Cardiff University Students' Union Advice and Representation Centre (opposite Main Building).

Are the properties inspected?

The properties are NOT inspected by the Residences Office. However, landlords must support the following schemes and provide evidence of the related documentation (if applicable) to be included on the lists.

  1. Gas Safety Certificate
    If the property has its heating/hot water produced by gas or any gas appliances of any nature installed, the landlord must hold a current, valid Gas Safety Certificate. The certificate must be clearly identified as having been issued by a Gas Safe registered company/dealer/installer.
  2. Electrical Installation Certificate / Periodic Inspection Report
    The landlord must hold a current, valid Electrical Installation Certificate or Periodic Inspection Report on the property by a NICEIC or ECA registered electrician.
  3. Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)
    Under article 7 of The European Directive on the Energy Performance of Buildings (EPBD), any building that is sold, rented out or constructed must have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). This must be issued by a qualified and accredited assessor in an independent manner.
  4. Rent Smart Wales
    The Residences Office is continually trying to improve our service to students. We therefore support Rent Smart Wales Wales in its aim of raising standards in the private rented sector by ensuring that only registered and licenced landlords are included in our listings. The scheme works by licensing the landlord, not the property, therefore identifying the participants as competent and professional in their dealings with their properties and tenants and with the skills necessary to run a successful business. Note: Until November 2016 we will also be listing properties owned by landlords who are accredited under the Landlord Accreditation Scheme, which was in operation before the Rent Smart scheme was introduced.
  5. Deposit Protection Scheme
    If a landlord takes a deposit from you, by law, it is compulsory for them to have registered as part of a Deposit Protection Scheme. These schemes deal with problems over the return of rental bonds. It ensures that rental bonds are returned promptly at the end of the tenancy where there is no dispute.
  6. Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO)
    If you choose to live in a house where there are 5+ tenants and 3+ floors, by law, the landlord must have an HMO certificate issued by the local Council. The listings show if this type of property has an HMO certificate.
  7. Additional Licensing in Cathays and Plasnewydd
    Additional Licensing has been introduced to tackle some of the problems associated with the high number of HMO’s in the Cathays and Plasnewydd areas.  This will help to improve the management of these properties, create consistent standards and have a significant impact on street scene issues such as rubbish. If the property falls within the catchment area for these schemes, the landlord is required to provide their licence or an Acknowledgment of receipt of Licence Application

Can anyone give me further advice?

Cardiff University Student Support Centre
Offers a series of resources with advice on the various options of accommodation in Cardiff

Cardiff University Students’ Union Advice and Representation Centre (ARC)
Provides guidance on all housing issues whether it's helpful hints as you go house hunting, advice on your tenant rights and responsibilities or a council tax bill.

Cardiff Digs
Offers information, advice and support on accessing private rented accommodation, living out in the community and a one-stop-shop resource for student matters


Residences guide

Residences guide

Compare all of our residences with this handy guide.


Contact us

Residences Office
Cardiff University
PO Box 533
Southgate House
CF14 3XZ

Tel: +44 (0)29 2087 4849
Fax: +44 (0)29 2087 4661