Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


Frequently Asked Questions

International Exchange

Who can apply for International Exchange?

You must check what opportunities are available to you through International Exchange with your academic school (please see your School Coordinator). You may apply to take part providing your school is part of an exchange agreement overseas. You must have already completed at least 1 year of your degree programme.

I’m an international student. Can I still apply?

Yes, international students can apply.

Do I have to enrol at Cardiff University at the beginning of the year?

Yes, you will remain a Cardiff University student even though you will be spending either all or part of that year abroad. You will be sent information on how to complete on-line enrolment via email from Registry as normal.

Will I have to add extra time on to my degree?

This depends on your degree programme. You should check with the Exchange Coordinator in your school. If the answer is ‘yes’, do not let that deter you. An International Exchange placement is worthwhile and will add significant value to your studies.

How long does an International Exchange placement last?

This is ultimately a school decision, and may also depend on your degree programme. Most students spend a full academic year overseas, but it is often possible to spend just a semester on exchange.

Will I have to pay tuition fees to my host university?

No, you will not be charged tuition fees by your host university. Some partner universities may charge a small application fee.

Can I apply for a loan as normal?

Yes, studying overseas does not affect your eligibility for a student loan.

Will I have to find my own accommodation abroad?

This depends on the university you study with. Some universities will allow you to apply for their university accommodation whereas others may not have availability. In these cases, students will be required to find private accommodation. Most of our partners have a Housing Office who will be on hand to assist you with your search for accommodation if they are unable to house you in University accommodation.

Will I have to pay for my accommodation abroad?

Yes, you will have to pay for your accommodation as well as your general living costs and entertainment.

Does the time I spend abroad count towards my degree?

Yes. You will be spending your time studying with degree-seeking students at your host institutions, taking classes under the same terms as home students. At the end of your study placement, you will receive a transcript of records from your host institution. This will record your results with the credits and grades received. However, it is important that you confirm your academic programme and methods of assessment with your Exchange coordinator in your school.

Can I get a part-time job whilst studying overseas?

This will depend on your visa and the country in which you will be studying. It is advised to check the conditions of your visa prior to travelling. The Study Abroad Office will also be able to provide specific information on an individual basis.