Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


Frequently Asked Questions


Who can apply for the Erasmus programme?

You must check what opportunities are available to you through Erasmus with your academic school (please see your Erasmus Co-ordinator). You may apply to take part providing your school has existing Erasmus agreements or work opportunities in Europe. You must have already completed at least 1 year of your degree programme.

I’m an international student. Can I still apply?

Yes, international students can apply. However, you must book an appointment to speak with an International Student Advisor in the Student Support Centre to ensure there are no implications for your visa. You may need to apply for another visa in order to study or work abroad. 

Will I be covered under Cardiff University’s Insurance Policy?

Yes, Cardiff University provides all its students that study or work abroad with an insurance certificate. We strongly advise that in addition to this students, where possible, obtain an EHIC card for the duration of their placement.

Do I have to enrol at Cardiff University at the beginning of the year?

Yes, you will remain a Cardiff University student even though you will be spending either all or part of that year abroad. You will be sent information on how to complete on-line enrolment via email from Registry as normal.

Will I have to add extra time on to my degree?

This depends on your degree programme. You should check with the Erasmus Co-ordinator in your school. If the answer is ‘yes’, do not let that deter you. The Erasmus experience is worthwhile and will add significant value to your studies.

How long is an Erasmus placement for?

This depends on the particular agreement reached by your school and the host University or organisation. However, the minimum length of time for an Erasmus exchange is 3 months and the maximum is 12 months.

What if I can’t speak a foreign language?

Some universities (especially for the science subjects) offer courses taught in English. There may also be the possibility for study placement students to apply for an Erasmus Intensive Language Course prior to your placement to help you improve your language ability. Funding may be available to support this. However, the Erasmus programme seeks to enhance linguistic ability and a basic knowledge of the target language is always recommended, especially if you are doing a work placement.

Will I get extra financial help?

Yes, an Erasmus grant exists for all students going on an Erasmus placement. The grant is provided by the British Council and is intended to offset the additional costs of living and studying abroad. There is also additional funding available for students from a widening participation background, for students studying or working in a priority country, and for students with a disability.

Will I have to pay fees to my host university?

No, you will not be charged any fees by your host university.

Can I apply for a loan as normal?

Yes, the Erasmus grant does not affect your eligibility for a student loan.

Will I have to find my own accommodation abroad?

This depends on the university you study with. Some universities will allow you to apply for their university accommodation whereas others may not. In these cases, students will be required to find private accommodation. Students carrying out a work placement will have to find private accommodation.

Will I have to pay for my accommodation abroad?

Yes, you will have to pay for your accommodation as well as your general living costs and entertainment. The Erasmus grant however will contribute to the extra costs that incur through studying abroad.

Does the time I spend abroad count towards my degree?

There has to be academic recognition for your Erasmus placement, whether it is a study or a work placement. At the end of your study placement, you will receive a transcript of records from your host institution. This will record your results with the credits and grades received. However, it is important that you confirm your academic programme and methods of assessment with your Erasmus Co-ordinator in your school. For students who are working abroad, your academic school will inform you how they will assess your work placement prior to your departure.

Can I get a part-time job whilst studying in Europe?

Yes, some students work part-time while studying abroad. It’s an excellent way to learn the language and mix with the local community. Students who have entered their host country on a visa, you are responsible for checking the immigration rules for that county, and whether they will allow you to work while on your Erasmus placement.