Information for staff and students
Registering with GPs
As you may be aware the World Health Organisation (WHO) has now raised the alert over swine flu to level five - indicating human-to-human transmission in at least two countries.
This Flu can affect anyone and the first two confirmed cases in the UK are in their early twenties. It is therefore important that all students take precautionary action and register with a GP to ensure appropriate care and ease of access to antiviral medication is available should it be required.
If you are not registered with a GP we strongly advise you to register as soon as possible by:
- Contacting the GP and request registration. Click here for a list of GP practices in Cardiff.
- If the GP is unable to register you, they should provide you with alternative advice as to where to register.
- If you are unable to register contact the NHS Wales Business Service Centre on 01495 332000, where you will be allocated a GP.
If you find difficulties in registering with a GP in Cardiff, please come to the University’s Health Centre at 47 Park Place and we will assist you in registration.
Further background and information on the disease can be found on the National Public Health Service for Wales website.
The University is monitoring the present outbreak of swine flu, which originated in Mexico. The overall situation in Wales is being monitored by the National Public Health Service for Wales (NPHS). Other information can be found on the Department of Health and Health Protection Agency websites.
Those thinking about travelling to the affected areas should consult the Service's website at http://www.wales.nhs.uk/newsarch.cfm
This also contains further information about the disease.
The University will provide further information for staff and students if the situation changes. In the meantime, anyone who has recently travelled to the affected areas and is experiencing influenza-like illness is advised to stay at home to limit contact with others, and seek medical advice from a local health professional or by contacting NHS Direct Wales on 0845 46 47.
- The Latest Updates http://cardiffuni.typepad.com/flu area of our website will continue to update staff and students on the latest developments regarding flu related issues.
- Remember to also visit our Advice & Information section http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/flu/info for the latest guidelines and support.