Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


Insurance - Travel

The University's travel insurance policy has M£10 cover which is provided for both staff and students relating to medical expenses incurred abroad and there is associated cover for personal baggage up to K£5.

Travel Insurance is given on the condition that the individual is medically and physically fit to travel. If there is any doubt of the travellers health, a doctors opinion must be sought. The University insurance does not allow travelling against medical advice.

Please be advised that for any trip abroad the FCO (Foreign and Commonwealth Office) should be checked prior to booking, if the FCO had advised not to go there and the advice had not changed since booking then there would be no insurance cover for cancellation. Please click on the following link to check for any restrictions by country

A certificate of insurance relating to the policy is issued automatically where a "Request for Travel Advance and/or Overseas Travel Approval" application ( EXP 4 ) is submitted to Finance, Accounts payable.  This form should be completed in all cases, whether or not an advance is required. This should be requested at least 48 hours prior to the departure on an overseas trip. 

Travellers must report losses to the police within 24 hours of the loss and obtain a copy of the report.

The following contact number can be called in the event of a medical emergency overseas, for persons travelling without their certificates :-

Assistance Organisation - Speciality Assist

Telephone:     + 44 (0) 20 7902 7405

Fax:              + 44 (0) 20 7970 2334


If you have any queries please contact the Insurance Officer on the contact details below :-

Mr Stephen Blake
Finance Officer - Insurance & Intrastat

Telephone:+44 (0)29 208 79071