Telephone: +44(0)29 2087 5600
Fax: +44(0)29 2087 4946
Location: Room 2.26, 65-68 Park Place
Michael Oakeshott and British Idealism
My thesis considers Michael Oakeshott’s philosophy in the context of British Idealism, showing that in all his works he addressed some of the key-questions at the kernel of that intellectual tradition. Moreover, I highlight that he developed his thought also in relation to the main controversies that animated that movement (as, for instance, those between Idealism/Realism and between Personal/Absolute Idealism). The thesis has two parts. Firstly, I focus on Oakeshott’s conception of philosophical activity, analyzing his position on the monism of experience and modality; on the nature of the self; on the historicity of thought; on philosophical method. Secondly, I examine his political thought. In this regard, I outline the relevance of Idealist sources over both his civil philosophy – which I interpret as a form of Republicanism – and his ideal of moral conversation. In so doing, I point out that he deals with the Analytic critique of normative thought, proposing a criteriological conception of philosophy. In this regard, I wish to underline the relevance of Oakeshott’s ‘logic’ to his political thought.
Away from my thesis I am interested in Modern and Contemporary Political Thought, Modern and Contemporary Scepticism, the relation between epistemology of historical knowledge and normative thought, International Relations Theory.
In 2012-13 I teach on the following modules in EUROP:
- Introduction to Political Thought;
- Introduction to International Relations.
(2012), Philosophy and Criticism. Conversation in Oakeshott’s Thought, in « Collingwood and British Idealism Studies », 18: 1, pp. 8-29.
Reviews on peer-reviewed journal (in Italian)
(2012)Review of La città e l’uomo. Saggi su Aristotele, Platone, Tucidide by L. Strauss, in Filosofia Politica, XXVI:2, pp. 334-337 The book is the first Italian translation of Leo Strauss’ The City and Man.
(2012), Review of Delio Cantimori. Un intellettuale del Novecento, by P. Chiantera-Stutte, in Filosofia Politica, XXVI: 2, pp.341-342.
(2012), Review of Democrazia. Storia e teoria di un’esperienza filosofica e politica by C. Altini (ed.), in Filosofa Politica, XXVI: 2, pp. 345-347.
I have also published many short reviews on Fondazione.
2012) Review of Abolire la proprietà intellettuale by M. Boldrin-D.K. Levine (Italian edition of Against Intellectual Monopoly, 2008) in Notiziario della Fondazione Collegio San Carlo di Modena, n.677
(2012) Review of Creazionismo by D. Sedley (Italian translation of Creationism and Its Critics in Antiquity, 2007) in Notiziario della Fondazione Collegio San Carlo di Modena,n.677
(2012) Review of A. Grafton, M. Williams, Come il Cristianesimo ha trasformato il libro, by A. Grafton- M. Williams (Italian translation of Christianity and the Transformation of the Book, 2006) in Notiziario della Fondazione Collegio San Carlo di Modena,677
(2012) Review of Il codice d’onore. Come cambia la morale by A. Appiah (Italian transalation of The Honor Code, 2010) in Notiziario della Fondazione Collegio San Carlo di Modena,676
(2011), Review of Come gli stati diventano democratici by P. Grilli di Cortona, in Notiziario della Fondazione Collegio San Carlo di Modena, 671
- 2011 - (2014) Ph.D Candidate in Politics / Cardiff University (UK), AHRC
- Research Project: Michael Oakeshott and British Idealism. Supervisors: Professor David Boucher, Professor Bruce Haddock
- 2012/2013, Tutor, Introduction to Political Thought and Introduction to International Relations / Cardiff University, School of European Languages, Translation and Politics
- 2010 – (2013), PhD Candidate in Philosophy /Scuola Alti Studi, Fondazione Collegio San Carlo (It).
- Research Project: Philosophy of History and Philosophy of Politics in Michael Oakeshott’s Thought. Supervisor: Professor Giovanni Giorgini (University of Bologna). Advisor: Professor Dario Antiseri (Fondazione Collegio San Carlo di Modena).
2011 – 2012, Tutor, Scuola Internazionale di Alti Studi Scienze della Cultura, Fondazione Collegio San Carlo di Modena (Humanities research institute with a post-graduate school and two cultural centres)
- Assistance to teaching activities (co-ordination of post-graduate seminars, assistance to visiting professors)
- Assistance in organizing a series of public lectures under UNESCO patronage
- Assistance to public activities involving high-school students on the theme of utopianism in philosophical thought.
- Administrative support to admission procedure and courses
- 2008-2009, Postgraduate specialization course / Scuola Internazionale di Alti Studi, Fondazione Collegio San Carlo, Modena, (It). Final dissertation: The Relation between Religion, Philosophy and Politics in Eric Voegelin.
- 2002 – 2007, Diploma Collegio Superiore, Alma Mater Studiorum, Università degli Studi di Bologna (It). Highly competitive academic programme (8% acceptance rate) providing advanced interdisciplinary education, full scholarship, individual tutoring and extra academic training.
- 2005 – 2007, M.Phil. in Philosophy / Alma Mater Studiorum, Università degli Studi di Bologna (It). Thesis: Constancy and Diversion. Passions in Montaigne’s Essais - 110/110 cum laude
- 2002 - 2005, B.A. in Philosophy / Alma Mater Studiorum, Università degli Studi di Bologna (It). Thesis: Compassion and Public Life in Martha C. Nussbaum – 110/110 cum laude.
- 2011 (January–March), Visiting Student at the “Collingwood and British Idealism Centre”, School of European Studies, Cardiff University (UK). Supervision: Professor David Boucher.
- 2006 (January–September), Visiting Student at Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (FR).
Scholarships and Awards
- 2011 - , School of European Languages, Translations and Politics, PhD Scholarship. 2011 - , AHRC BGP (Fees).
- 2012 - , AHRC Research Training Support Grant
- 2010-2012, Fondazione Collegio San Carlo di Modena, Post-graduate Research Scholarship.
- 2011, Fondazione Collegio San Carlo, Research Abroad Grant
- 2011, R.G. Collingwood Society, Travel Grant
- 2009, Fondazione Collegio San Carlo di Modena, Post - graduate Maintenance Grant.
- 2006, Socrates/Erasmus Scholarship
- 2003-2008, Collegio Superiore – Università di Bologna, Honour Scholarship (University fees, Accommodation, Living Expenses Grant).
- Member of Political Studies Association of UK (2011-)
- Member of British Idealism Specialist Group of the PSA (2011-)
- Member of Associazione Alumni, Collegio Superiore dell’Università di Bologna (2008-)
Papers in conferences
- Modern Political Philosophy and Truth. Oakeshott in the Context of the Analytic Critique of Normative Thought, presented at “Michael Oakeshott Association Conference. Modernity and Its Discontents”, Colorado College, Colorado Springs, USA, September 26-29, 2013.
- Michael Oakeshott’s Theory of the Self in the Context of the Debate between Personal and Absolute Idealism, presented at “ British Idealism and the concept of the self”, Harris Manchester College, Oxford, August, 27-30, 2013.
- International Customary Law and the Jus in Law. Some Considerations from Michael Oakeshott’s Theory of Civil Association, presented at “St. Andrews Graduate Conference in International Relations Theory”, St. Andrews University, June, 10-11, 2013.
- The Critique of Instrumental Laws and the Role of Civil Society in the Enactment of Equality, presented at “Oxford Graduate Conference in Political Theory”, Nuffield College, April, 25-27, 2013.
- Oakeshott and the Analytic Critique of Normative Thought, presented at “Political Studies Association Annual Conference”, British Idealism Panel, Cardiff, March, 25-27, 2013.
- Tradition and Truth in Michael Oakeshott’s Philosophy, presented at “Tradizioni e migrazioni culturali. Prospettive interdisciplinary”, jointly organized by Fondazione San Carlo, Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes, Erfurt Universitat, September 27-28, 2012.
- Michael Oakeshott on History of Philosophy, presented at the “Mancept Political Theory Workshop” (British Idealism Panel), Manchester University, September 5 – 7, 2012.
- Oakeshott and Scepticism, presented at the British Idealism Specialist Group of the Political Studies Association Annual Meeting, Gregynog, December, 15th-16th, 2011.
- Conversation and Dialectic in Michael Oakeshott, presented at the “Mancept Political Theory Workshop” (British Idealism Panel), Manchester University, August 31 – September 2, 2011
- Diritti umani e giutizia in Michael Oakeshott, presented at the III Summer School Cespec (Centre for the Study of Contemporary Thought), September 23, 2010, Religious Tradition and Human Rights, Cuneo, Italy.
- La sensibilité morale éduquée. Quelques remarques sur la relation entre action et éducation dans la pensée de Michael Oakeshott, presented at the XXXIII Congrès « Association Sociétés de Philosophie de Langue Française (ASPLF) », L’Action. Penser la vie – ‘Agir’ la pensée, August 19, 2010, Venezia, Italy.