Elke Oerter M.A., DipTrans IOL
Telephone: +44(0)29 2087 6247
Fax: +44(0)29 2087 4946
Location: Room 2.28, 65-68 Park Place
Office hours: Mondays 16:00, Fridays 15:00, by appointment.
I graduated from the Ruhr-Universität in Bochum with an M.A. in British Cultural Studies, Modern German Literature and Philosophy. During my year abroad I worked as a foreign language assistant at the University of Derby, gaining my first teaching experience in the UK.
Since graduating in 2001 I have taught German language at Cardiff University. I have thoroughly enjoyed working as a language tutor, and to further improve my teaching skills I completed a university certificate for teaching German as a Foreign Language with the Goethe-Institute.
At Cardiff University I have taught undergraduate students at all levels, as well as postgraduate students on the MA Translation and adult learners at the university's Centre for Lifelong Learning.
As DAAD-Ortlslektorin I maintain close links with the German academic exchange service DAAD and regularly attend conferences and workshops to keep abreast with new teaching approaches and developments in higher education in Germany and the UK.
I coordinate the language teaching in the German section and teach on the following courses:
BA German Single and Joint Honours
- EU2136 German Language and German-English translation (year one)
- EU7299 German Language and German-English translation (year two)
- EU2361 German- English Tandem (year two and incoming Erasmus students from Germany)
- EU7387 German for Professional Purposes (final year)
- EU8100 Translation Methods and Skills
- EU8101 Introduction to Translation Theory
- EUT403 Specialized Translation: Literary Translation
- EUT409 History of European Translation
- Supervision of Annotated Translations and Dissertations
Administrative and pastoral duties
In addition to my teaching I deal with the following administrative tasks:
- Year Abroad Coordinator (Outgoing)
- Year Abroad Contact for German
- Admissions Contact for German
- Personal tutor