Telephone: +44(0)29 2087 5600
Fax: +44(0)29 2087 4946
Location: Room 2.26, 65-68 Park Place
Promoting Multilingualism as a Stepping Stone Towards a Multicultural Wales
This research project starts from the idea that Wales is both a multilingual and multicultural space. Although the discourse about multiculturalism in the UK has been quite prevalent in the past decades, very few people take into consideration the obvious linguistic aspect that multiculturalism implies.
Therefore, this project’s aim is to analyse the relationships between language and society by examining the multilingual practices in the specific context of Wales. More precisely, I am looking at the ways in which the enormous linguistic capital that Wales possesses thanks to its immigrant population is fructified and at the attitudes towards community languages in this multilingual context.
Moreover, one of the main hypotheses is that language should be given a central role when dealing with different ethnic communities as its use can lead to the construction and reinforcement of certain ideologies but also to multilingualism, and more exactly to plurilingual awareness, which can increase tolerance among different individuals.
Multilingualism; bilingualism; language awareness; cultural pluralism; language acquisition; teaching foreign languages; translation studies; ethnic minorities; community languages; multilingual learning and teaching;
- 2012 MA Translation Studies (Cardiff University, EUROP)
- 2011 BA English - Swedish (University of Bucharest, Faculty of Foreign Languages and Literatures)
- 2011 BA European Cultural Studies (University of Bucharest, Faculty of Letters)
- 2012-2015 President’s Research Scholarship (fees-only)
- 2011 Research scholarship provided by the Swedish Institute - Gothenburg University - Dept. of Literature, History of Ideas, and Religion Gothenburg (Sweden)
- 2009 Language Learning Scholarship provided by Riksföreningen Sverigekontakt – Tärna Folkhögskola
- Cardiff University’s (Re)-Constructing Multiculturalism Network
- Cardiff University Translation Studies Society (Committee Officer: Secretary)
- May 2012 – The Human Library (Coordinator of the project together with Prof. Alexis Nuselovici).
- Cardiff University Themed Conference (Humanities and Social Sciences) (Steering committee member)
- Freelance Romanian and Swedish teacher