Dr Edwin Egede - LLB (Hons), BL, LLM, PhD
Telephone: +44(0)29 2087 4237
Fax: +44(0)29 2087 4946
Location: Room 1.30, 65-68 Park Place
Office hours: Wednesday, 13:00 - 14:00
Thursday, 14:00 - 15:00
My research interests include:
• International Law and International Relations;
• International Organisations;
• Ocean Law, Governance and Politics;
• Boundary Delimitation, especially Maritime Delimitation, and Global Politics;
• Human Rights & Civil Liberties;
• Regulation of the Control and Use of Natural Resources, especially in Global Commons;
• Constitutionalism and Democracy in Africa.
I am interested in supervising research projects in any of my research interests.
I am presently researching and writing (with Dr. Peter Sutch) an interdisciplinary book titled “Politics of International Law and Justice”, under contract with Edinburgh University Press (EUP).
- EUT052 Public International Law (postgraduate)
- EU4347 Global International Organisations in World Politics (undergraduate)
- EU4107 Introduction to International Relations
- Programme Director, Politics, Cardiff School of European Languages, Translation and Politics (2010 to date)
- Convenor, Msc International Relations Programme, Cardiff School of European Languages, Translation and Politics(2008 to 2010)
- An International lawyer engaged in interdisciplinary teaching and research in International Law and International Relations.
- Lectured on International Law and Human Rights & Civil Liberties both in Nigeria and the United Kingdom.
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)(September 2009 to date).
- Won prestigious United Nations/ United Nations Institute for Training and Research Fellowship in international Law and attended courses at the renowned Hague Academy of International Law (July 2000);
- A Barrister and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Nigeria.
- An Ordained Minister in His Church.
- International Law Association (British Branch)
- Academic Council on the United Nations Systems(ACUNS)
- Association of Attendees and Alumni of the Hague Academy of International Law (AAA)
- Nigerian Society of International Law (NSIL)
- Nigerian Bar Association (NBA)
- International Hydrographic Organisation (IHO)/International Association of Geodesy (IAG) Advisory Board on the Law of the Sea(ABLOS) Conference 2010, Monaco (October 2010)
- African Studies Association of the UK(ASAUK) 2010 Conference, Oxford University(September 2010)
- Academic Council on the United Nations System(ACUNS) 2010 Conference, Vienna, Austria(June 2010)
- Socio-Legal Studies Association(SLSA) 2010 Annual Conference(March 2010)
- Effective International Dispute Settlement for Public and Private Actors, World Legal Forum, The Hague, Netherlands(December 2007)
- Third J.H.W. Verzijl Memorial Symposium – Stability and Change in the Law of the Sea: Selected Issues, Netherlands Institute for the Law of the Sea, Utrecht University, Utrecht, Netherlands. (December 2004).
- UN/UNITAR fellowship programme in International Law, the Hague, Netherlands. (July/August 2000).
- Summer Course on Private and Public International Law, Hague Academy on International Law, the Hague, Netherlands. (July/August 2000).
- Paper on: Are there commonalities between the European Union and African Union Approaches to the Definition of Terrorism? Presented at a Public Lecture of the European Governance, Identity & Public Policy Research Unit, Cardiff University School of European Studies(June 2011)
- Paper on: Compliance with Article 76 of the Law of the Sea Convention (LOSC) 1982: A Burden for Developing States? – An African Perspective, presented at the 6th International Hydrographic Organisation (IHO)/International Association of Geodesy (IAG) Advisory Board on the Law of the Sea(ABLOS) Conference 2010, Monaco (October 2010)
- Paper on: the Right to the Enjoyment of the Common Heritage of Mankind under the African Charter: Legal Right or Political Rhetoric?, presented at the African Studies Association of the UK(ASAUK) 2010 Conference, Oxford University.(September 2010)
- Paper on: International Straits, Compulsory Pilotage and the Protection of the Marine Environment, presented at the Sixth International Colloquium of the Institute for International Shipping and Trade Law, Swansea University (September 2010)
- Paper on the Common Heritage of Mankind of Global Commons and Ownership under African Native Land Tenure System: Are there parallels?, presented at the Socio-Legal Studies Association(SLSA) 2010 Annual Conference(March 2010)
- Paper on World Organisations and International Law, presented at the Cardiff United Nations Association (February 2009)
- Paper on the United Nations and Terrorism, presented at the Cardiff University Model United Nations Conference held at the Welsh Assembly (April 2008)
- Paper on the Fundamental Right to a Clean Environment in the Niger Delta of Nigeria, presented at the Faculty Seminar, Faculty of Law, University of Lagos, Nigeria(February 2001)
- Paper on the Relationship between International Human Rights Treaties and Nigerian Law, presented at the United Nations/ United Nations Institute for Training and Research(UN/UNITAR) International Law programme at the Peace Palace, the Hague Netherlands(July 2000).
Other scholarly and professional activities
- Refereed grant proposal for the Marsden Fund (administered by the Royal Society of New Zealand), a Fund established by the government of New Zealand to fund excellent fundamental research.
- Alternate member of the International Law Association (ILA) international research Committee on Baselines under the International Law of the Sea (May 2011 to date)
- Affiliated Research Member of the Cardiff University Research Institute for Sustainable Places (November 2010 to date)
- Member of the Welsh Centre of International Affairs(WCIA) Legal Affairs Committee(August 2010 to date)
- Member of the Executive of Cardiff United Nations Association; (May 2009 to date);
- Member of the editorial board of the Nigerian Journal of Contemporary Law (1998 to 2001).
I have supervised/co-supervised various Phd and Masters dissertation topics covering various of areas in international law and international relations, such as humanitarian intervention; responsibility to protect; the use of force under international law; united nations reforms; resource conflicts; e-waste and the right to a clean environment in Africa; attitude of the USA and China to Economic and Social Rights