Mrs Rocío Pérez de Baines - Lic. en Fil. y Letras (Mexico City), PGCE Cert in Further and Higher Education, Cardiff University
Telephone: +44(0)29 208 76375
Fax: +44(0)29 208 74946
Location: Room 0.23, 65-68 Park Place
Office hours: Wenesday, 12:00 - 14:00
I joined the Spanish Department in 1997 working as an Associate Tutor. Then I became an FLA. In 2001 I had the opportunity to become a Tutorial Fellow and in 2007 I was promoted to the post of Professional Tutor. I have been teaching Spanish in Cardiff for the last twenty-two years.
My teaching experience includes:
- Designing and teaching language modules for Cardiff University Spanish Department.
- Designing and teaching courses for Cardiff University Centre for Lifelong Learning.
- Designing and teaching Free Standing Modules for Cardiff University Services.
- Teaching GCSE and A level Spanish in different colleges of Higher Education.
- Designing and teaching courses for various Community Education Centres.
I am very interested in methodology and the preparation of material for language teaching. I am also very interested in the process of assessment and I have been working for the International Baccalaureate Organization as an Examiner Leader, where I have a team of twelve examiners and I coordinate and mark Spanish exams from all over the world.
Since I started working at Cardiff University, I have been involved in teaching different modules, mainly Conversation, Grammar and Translation to undergraduates Year 1, Year 2 and Year 4. I also have had the opportunity to teach Spanish Texts for Year 1 students.
- Language Coordinator for all Year 1 & 2 undergraduates. I am responsible for co-ordinating the teaching of Conversation, Grammar and Translation Modules for all Year 1 & 2 students.
- Chair Co-ordination Meetings.
- Personal Tutor.
- IT representative for the Spanish Department. Preparing material using ‘CAN-8’ software and demonstrating this at Open Days to prospective students.
- Representative on the ‘Year Abroad Safety Panel’.
- Monitoring visits to Spanish Universities to support Socrates/Erasmus Exchange students.
- Personal Tutor for Year Abroad Students.
- Assisting in formatting the teaching timetable.
- I co-ordinate and advise the Socrates/Erasmus students on which Spanish language module they should study in order to get the credits that their Universities expect them to achieve.