The Cardiff Undergraduate Research Opportunities Programme (CUROP)
Applications are invited for an eight-week research assistant post under the CUROP scheme. The successful applicant will work on a project called Stories of South Asian Settlement in Cardiff from the 1950s to the 1980s.
The project is to record on audio 8 oral history life stories of Cardiff people from South Asian Sikh, Muslim and Hindu backgrounds and combining these with family photos to create a digital exhibition. The focus will be on first generation settlers. Interviewees will include women and men. The student research assistant will:
- Learn the principles of oral history interviewing.
- Conduct and review 2 trial interviews
- Conduct 8 project interviews
- Code the interviews, identifying the key themes and issues.
- Select and transcribe sections of the interviews for use in the exhibitions.
- Collect and scan, at high resolution, family photographs for use in the exhibitions.
- Curate a digital exhibition using the edited life stories and scanned photos.
The research assistant will be paid a £170 a week for 8 weeks during July and August.
Applicants should send a letter of application detailing their reasons for applying, educational record, details of any work or volunteering experience and any other relevant experience. Applicants should also supply a CV.
Closing date for applications: 31 May 2013