Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


Mental Health Advice and Support

The University has two Mental Health Advisers who are available to meet with students who have a diagnosed mental health condition or are concerned they are experiencing symptoms of mental ill health.

To find out more about how Mental Health Advisers can help and how to self refer please click the following link 

If you are unable to complete the self referral form please email us at or telephone Student Support on 02920 87 4844

Is meeting with a Mental Health Adviser Confidential?

Meetings with the Mental Health Adviser are confidential.*   However, some support and reasonable adjustments may require disclosure of a disability on a needs to know basis, normally to your School Disability Contact.  This is discussed with you and your consent is obtained prior to doing so.  
* On rare occasion there may be a need to breach confidentially if, for example, you are at serious risk of harming yourself or others or professional Fitness to Practice is a concern.  Confidentiality will be discussed at your first meeting.

Disabled Students Allowance

Some students with mental health concerns may be eligible for support through the Disabled Students Allowance (DSA).  To apply for a DSA you have to supply evidence of your mental health difficulty to your funding body, e.g. Student Finance England (SFE), Student Finance Wales (SFW), your LEA, SAAS, NHS Awards Unit or Funding Council.  Your funding body will then decide on your eligibility.  It is advisable to discuss your situation with a Mental Health Adviser who can also guide you through the application process.

For more information please see our Mental Health information guide.

University Counselling Service

The Counselling Service offers a range of services for students including 1:1 counselling, workshops, email & Skype counselling and daily SPACE4U.  Further details available from

University Support Contacts and Helplines

Responding to Concerns or Crisis and