Selected Research Funding
We have received in excess of £10 million over the last six years in competitive funding for our high quality basic, applied and clinical research from government, industry and charitable organisations.
A selection of active grants:
- £4963 Title: To examine important aspects of the delivery of preventative and minimally invasive operative dentistry by dental therapists within the UK
Dr C. Lynch & Prof B Chadwick
Oral Dental Research Trust
01/05/2012 - 31/10/2012
- £2980 Title:Delineating the immunological profile of oral muscular Vs mesenchymal stem cells
Dr L. Davies
12/03/2012 – 03/06/2012 (Dentl)
- £91,600 Title: Designed to Smile - Evaluation of the national child oral health improvement programme Stage II
Prof I Chestnutt & Dr R. Trubey (Dentl)
10/04/2012 – 31/03/2015
- £24,679 Title: Dental Foundation Trainers Expectations of Dental Grad
Dr A. Gilmour (Dentl) with Prof A Bullock (Socsi)
01/04/11 - 31/03/12
- £9,595 Title: Myogenic differentiation potential of an oral-mucosa-derived progenitor cell population
Prof P Stephens.( Dr. M. Locke )
The Royal College of Surgeons of England ( Faculty of Dental Surgery)
01/06/11 - 31/12/12
- £90,000 Title: TROP2 A stem cell marker with oncogenic potential in cancer
Dr V Knauper, & Dr S. Dewitt (Dentl) with Dr Z Poghosyan (Medic)
01/10/11 - 30/09/14
- £9900 Title: An investigation of the ability of a novel oligosaccharide polymer therapy to modulate the viability adhesion and biofilm formation of oral bacteria on dental material substrates in vitro.
Mrs C. Emanuel, Dr K Hill and Prof D Thomas. (Dentl)
01/06/11 - 31/05/13
- £2,499,940 (with £409,991 for DENTL) Title: Biomarkers for arthritis
Centre Director: Prof Victor Duance (BIOSI)
Lead for DENTL: Prof D Aeschlimann
Other co-applicants: Drs D. Mason, D. Riccardi (BIOSI); Prof. S. Jones, Drs. A. Williams, B. Evans (MEDIC)
Prof S. Evans, Dr C. Holt (ENGIN); S. Denyer (PHRMY); Dr. R. van Deursen (SOHCS); Prof. R. Wise (CUBRIC)
CENTRE OF EXCELLENCE "ARTHRITIS RESEARCH UK BIOMECHANICS AND BIOENGINEERING CENTRE"
- £1,118,676 Title: Seal or Varnish? A randomised trial to determine the relative cost and effectiveness of pit and fissure sealants and Fluoride varnish in preventing dental decay
Prof I Chestnutt Prof B Chadwick Dr M. Morgan Dr L Hunter
NATIONAL INSTITUTE FOR HEALTH RESEARCH
01/04/11 – 31/03/15
- £387, 948 Title - Oral mucosal lamina propria progenitor cells as a novel and preferential source for treatment of Graft Versus Host Disease.
Prof P Stephens. Dr L.C Davies
MEDICAL RESEARCH COUNCIL
01/04/11 – 31/03/14
- £5000 Title- Dental pulp responses to heat and light curling Dental restorative materials.
DR C. Lynch
BRITISH ENDODONTICS SOCIETY
01/12/10 – 30/11/2011
- £1,918,056 Title: Probing the mechanical control of stem cell fate through the development of novel, non- invasive imaging technologies
ENGINEERING AND PHYSICAL SCIENCES RESEARCH COUNCIL (EPSRC)
Prof P Stephens, Dr A Sloan (Dentl), Dr E Tippmann (Chemy), Dr R Errington (Medic), Dr P Borri, Dr S. Hunter, Dr S Paisey (BIOSI), Prof W Langbein (Physx) Dr N Stephens (SOCSI).
15/09/10 – 14/09/13
- £283,192 Title: Harnessing dental pulp stem cells to enhance tissue regeneration
Dr A Sloan, Dr R O’Brien-Waddington .
MEDICAL RESEARCH COUNCIL (MRC)
01/07/10 – 30/06/12
- £143,000 Title: Transglutaminase 6 autoantibodies: A novel diagnostic marker for neurological manifestations of gluten sensitivity
Prof D Aeshchlimann.
01/04/10 - 31/03/13
- £142,133 Title: Antimicrobial performance of wound care products against biofilms.
Dr D Williams, Prof D Thomas, Dr K Hill.
ADVANCED MEDICAL SOLUTIONS & MOMENTA
01/05/10 – 30/04/12
- £140,473 Title: Development and assessment of novel integrated antimicrobial therapy to manage urinary catheter infection.
Dr D Williams, Prof M Waters, Dr S Malic.
06/01/10 - 31/12/11
- £1,478,075 Title: Repair spinal cord injury by controlling migration of neural stem cells –
Multidisciplinary approaches of electric stimulation and nanotechnology
Prof B Song.
EUROPEAN RESEARCH COMMISSION (ERC)
01/01/10 - 31/12/14
- £70,208 Title: Alcohol Misuse – Longitudinal study of social and cognitive risks for alcohol misuse in first year university students
Dr S Moore.
THE EUROPEAN FOUNDATION FOR ALCOHOL RESEARCH (ERAB).
01/01/10 - 31/12/11
- £238,009 Title: Molecular Genetics of a cell’s sense of electric field
Prof B Song.
22/10/09 – 21/05/12
- £52,101 Title: To reduce alcohol misuse and alcohol related injury in Wales through transferring and embedding new knowledge.
Prof J Shepherd .
01/10/09 - 31/12/12
- £9,991 Title: Molecular and functional and characterisation of the novel cytokine IL-35
Dr X Wei
MEDICAL RESEARCH COUNCIL (MRC) via Glasgow University.
01/06/09 – 31/05/12
- £304,515 Title: Establishment and validation of a stable cell based diabetic wound bioassay.
Prof P Stephens, Prof D Thomas, Prof D Kipling (MEDIC) .
01/03/09 - 28/02/11
- £90,000 Title: Designed to Smile – evaluation of a national child oral health improvement program
Prof I Chestnutt.
NATIONAL ASSEMBLY FOR WALES
01/02/09 - 31/01/12
- £2,066.571 Title: Building research Capacity – integrated academic training –
Prof S Richmond, Prof D Thomas, Mr P Durning
NATIONAL ASSEMBLY FOR WALES AND CARDIFF AND VALE NHS TRUST
01/12/2007 – 30/11/12