Dr David Williams
2007- Reader in Oral Microbiology (Cardiff University)
2003-2007 Senior Lecturer in Oral Microbiology (Cardiff University)
1999-2003 Lecturer in Oral Microbiology (UWCM)
1997-1999 Postdoctoral Research Fellow (UWCM)
1994 Diploma in Biomedical Methods (with Distinction)
1993-1996 MRC PhD Studentship (UWCM)
1987-1993 Research Officer (Leatherhead Food Research Association)
1987 BSc (Hons.) Applied Biology (First Class)
I teach a variety of subjects associated with Oral Microbiology for the dental undergraduate course and additional postgraduate courses. My teaching responsibilities comprise of giving lectures, seminars, practical classes and student assessment. I am a full member of the Institute for Learning and Teaching (ILT) in higher education since also a member of the Association of Basic Science Teachers in Dentistry (ABSTD).
Past and current - External Examiner for PhD and MPhil theses
Memberships / External Activities
International Association of Dental Research (IADR)
British Society of Oral and Dental Research (BSODR) and Chair of Awards Committee
British Society of Medical Mycology (BSMM)
Association of Basic Science Teachers in Dentistry (ABSTD)
Association of Clinical Oral Microbiologists (ACOM)
The Institute for Learning and Teaching in Higher Education (ILTHE)
Cardiff Institute of Tissue Engineering and Repair (CITER)
Oral Microbiology and Immunology Group (OMIG)
Oral Medicine and Pathology Group (OMPG)
Editorial board member of the Journal, Oral Microbiology and Immunology
Editorial board member of the Journal, Molecular Oral Microbiology (from February 2010)
- Second International Practical Course in Biofilm Science, University of Minho, Braga, Portugal, 2009.
- 19th Annual Microbiology Symposium, Oglebay Resort and Conference Center, Wheeling, West Virginia, USA, 2008.
- Yeasts and Moulds: An Update. West Virgina University, Morgantown, USA, 2008.
- European Tissue Repair Society, San Gorg Hotel Conference Centre, Malta, 2008.
- OMIG/ABSTD, Durham, UK 2007.
- Emerging Microbiological Threats in Dentistry. Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK, 2007.
- Immunopathogenesis of Oral Candidosis. Kanazawa Medical School, Kanazawa, Japan, 2006.
- The Biology of Microbial and Epithelial Interactions, OMIG/Biofilm Club, Port Sunlight, UK, 2006.
- Colgate Plenary Symposium, BSDR Annual Meeting Dundee, UK, 2005.
- The Formation of Oral Biofilms and their Significance in Disease, SUDI conference, Cardiff, 2005.
- Identification and Typing of Candida species. IADR/PEF Göteborg, Sweden, 2003.
Additional International Presentations
IADR, Toronto, Canada, 2008
IADR, Honolulu, USA, 2004
IADR, San Diego, USA, 2002
IADR, Washington, USA, 2000
IADR/PEF, Nice, France, 1998
IADR, Florida, USA, 1997
Awards and Prizes
Senior Colgate Prize (1996, BSDR)
Edward H Hatton Award (1997, IADR)
Associated Undergraduate/Postgraduate/Postdoctoral Awards:
Franklyn Williams Elective 2004
PPP Foundation Poster Competition (3rd prize; 2002)
Dental Protection Society Premiere Award (2nd prize; 2002)
Dentsply Student Clinician Award (2002)
Graduate School in Biomedical and Life Sciences Travel Grant (2006)
Bristol Urological Institute Prize Innovation (2009)