Prof Rachel Waddington
1984: BSc (Hons), Biochemistry; University of Birmingham, UK.
1988: PhD, Oral Biochemistry; University of Liverpool, UK.
1989: Diploma in Biomedical Methods, University Wales College of Medicine, UK.
1987-1989: MRC Postdoctoral Research Assistant, Department of Basic Dental Science, University of Wales College of Medicine, UK.
1989: Non-Clinical Lecturer in Oral Biochemistry, Department of Basic Dental Science, University of Wales College of Medicine, UK.
1998: Promoted to Senior Lecturer
2006: Promoted to Reader
Undergraduate Teaching and Assessment
Undergraduate Dental Clinical Course (BDS): Deputy course co-ordinators for the Oral Ecosystem theme and project co-ordinator for Year 2 extended essay; Provision of teaching associated with tooth development and structure, periodontal connective tissues in health and disease, osseointegration, fluoride and mineralised tissues and caries; academic management; course development; preparation assessment criteria and assessment of both formative and summative assessments. Personal tutor to 5 BDS students / year.
Intercalated Dental BSc: Module leader; DE3005- Cell Biology of Oral Destruction; course management for teaching provision and assessment; teaching for molecular mechanisms of periodontal destruction, biological basis for therapeutic and diagnostic approaches.
Contribute lectures/seminars to postgraduate taught programmes of study MSc orthodontics, GDP training implantology; MSc Implantology, MSc Clinical Dentistry. Subjects taught include osseointegration, bone grafting, molecular and cell biology of the periodontal tissues in orthodontics.
Successful supervision of:- 10 PhD students (Moseley,1996 (PI); Rees,1997; Stubbs,1998; Milan1999(PI); Sugars, 2001(PI); Roberts 2004(PI); Landrygan, 2006(PI); Fiedler, 2007; Smith, 2009; Colombo 2010(PI)) - 4 students have won National Research prizes from research as part of their studies. 2 MPhil (1997, 2001), 5 MScD clinical student projects (1999, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2007, 2010) - 2 awarded distinction. 12 Intercalated BSc projects. Currently supervisor 3 PhD student projects as primary supervisor, 4 PhD students as co-supervisor, 2 MScD / MPhil students.
Past and current - External examiner for 2nd BDS Parts I and II Oral Sciences and Medicine, Liverpool University (2002-2006); BDS Stage 2 Part 1, Newcastle University (2007-2009); International Qualifying Exam (Basic Dental Sciences), Royal College of Surgeons, England (2001-2003); PhD and MPhil theses examination. External Examiner for PhD thesis (Eastman Dental Institute, London; Liverpool; Birmingham; Newcastle; Leeds).
Memberships / External Activities
- The Higher Education Academy – admitted as registered practitioner 2001
- International Association of Dental Research
- British Society for Oral Dental Research
- Councillor –BSDR management committee 2002-2004
- Chair of MINTIG group of BSODR 2008-
- British Matrix Biology Society
- Association for Basic Science Teachers in Dentistry
- Cardiff Institute of Tissue Engineering and Repair
- COST European Concerted research Action B23 – Oral facial development and regeneration
Awards and Prizes
- MINTIG Prize – 1996: Research travel prize awarded by the Mineralised Tissue Research Group of the British Society for Dental Research for best oral presentation, sponsored by SmithKline Beecham.
- Senior Colgate Prize – 1990: Awarded by the British Society for Dental Research for the presentation of best oral research communication.