Prof Michael A O Lewis
October 1975 - June 1979: University of Dundee
BDS - Bachelor of Dental Surgery,
University of Dundee, 1979
FDSRCPS - Fellowship in Dental Surgery,
Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow, 1983
PhD - Doctor of Philosophy,
University of Glasgow, 1987
FDSRCS - Fellowship in Dental Surgery (awarded without examination),
Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, 1996
FDSRCS – Fellowship in Dental Surgery (ad eundum)
Royal College of Surgeons of England, 2002
FRCPath, - Fellowship of the Royal College of Pathologists (based on published works)
Royal College of Pathologists, 2002
Certificate of Accreditation in Oral Medicine
Specialist Advisory Committee in Oral Surgery and Oral Medicine
Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow, 1991
Registered as Specialist in Oral Medicine
General Dental Council, 1999
Member of the Institute of Learning and Teaching, 2001.
Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy, 2007.
House Officer: July 1979 - June 1980
Departments of Oral Surgery and Conservative Dentistry, Dundee Dental Hospital
Senior House Officer:
July 1980 - June 1981
Department of Periodontology, Dundee Dental Hospital
July 1981 - September 1983
Department of Oral Surgery, Dundee Dental Hospital
Research Fellow / Honorary Registrar:
October 1983 - September 1986
Department of Oral Surgery, University of Glasgow / Greater Glasgow Health Board
Lecturer / Honorary Senior Registrar:
October 1986 - July 1992
Department of Oral Medicine and Pathology, University of Glasgow / Greater Glasgow Health Board
Lecturer / Honorary Clinical Associate:
August 1992 - July 1993
Department of Oral Surgery, Medicine and Pathology, University of Wales College of Medicine / South Glamorgan Health Authority
Senior Lecturer / Honorary Consultant:
August 1993 - February 1998
Department of Oral Surgery, Medicine and Pathology, University of Wales College of Medicine / University Dental Hospital NHS Trust
Reader / Honorary Consultant:
March 1998 – November 2000
Department of Oral Surgery, Medicine and Pathology, University of Wales College of Medicine / Cardiff and Vale NHS Trust
Professor / Honorary Consultant:
December 2000 – Present
Department of Oral Surgery, Medicine and Pathology, Cardiff University / Cardiff and Vale NHS Trust
Memberships / External Activities
At present, I am;
- Dean-elect of the Dental Faculty of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
- Immediate-past President of the British Society for Oral Medicine.
- Member of the Advisory Council for Misuse of Drugs (Home Office)
- Member of the Specialist Advisory Committee for Antimicrobial Resistance (Department of Health)
- Member of the Wales Office of Research and Development for Health and Social Care Committee
- Hospital Tutor for the Second Year General Professional Training Scheme in Wales.
- Member of William J Giels Award Committee IADR (2006-2008)
I have served as
- Chairman of the Specialist Advisory Committee in the Additional Dental Specialties (2004-2007).
- Member of the NICE Guideline Development Group for Dental Recall (2002 -2005).
- Chair of the Organisation Committee for the inaugural meeting of Pan European Federation of IADR. (2002)
- Member of Hatton Award Committee of IADR (2001-2004)
- Chairman of Pre-doctoral Hatton Award Committee (2004).
- Member-at-Large, Oral Medicine and Pathology Group, IADR. (2002 - 2003)
- Chief Reviewer, Orofacial Pain Group, World Workshop in Oral Medicine, (2006)
- Associate Editor, Journal of Medical Microbiology (2000-2003).
- Member of the Editorial Board, British Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery (2001-2005)
I served as Sub-Dean of Dentistry (Clinical Studies) from February 2001 to December 2003. This post had a number of responsibilities related to the pastoral care of the undergraduate dental students. In addition to providing day-to-day support to students who find themselves in difficulty, the Sub-Dean administers the Academic Staff Committee and Personal Tutoring Scheme.
I co-ordinate and / or provide teaching on the following aspects of the BDS undergraduate curriculum;
- Oral Medicine.
- Oral Microbiology.
- Human Diseases.
- Control and Prevention of Infection.
I am the Theme Leader for the Human Diseases (including microbiology, pathology, surgery, medicine and pharmacology) component of the undergraduate dental curriculum.
I was the Divisional representative on the Dental Academic Quality and Audit Committee which facilitated all aspects of the course, teaching and student appraisal within the Dental School. The School was awarded the highest grade (excellent) in the Teaching Quality Assessment in December 1997.
In addition, I provide teaching on the following postgraduate courses;
- Diploma in Postgraduate Dentistry, School of Postgraduate Medical and Dental Education.
- Diploma in Dermatology, School of Medicine, Cardiff University.
- MFDS Course, of Postgraduate Medical and Dental Education.
I served as the external examiner for;
Oral Surgery and Oral Medicine, Final BDS, at the Dental School, University of Glasgow in 1997.
Anaesthetics and Therapeutics, 4th BDS, at the Dental School, University of Glasgow. (1998 – 2002).
Oral Surgery and Oral Medicine, Final BDS, at the University of Newcastle (2003 – 2005).
BDS IV, Prince Philip Dental School, Hong Kong (2005 -2007).
Diploma in Clinical Dental Science, Eastman Dental Institute, University College London (2004 – 2007).
Oral Pathology and Microbiology, 4th BDS at the University of Glasgow in 2007
Awards / Prizes
TC White Research Prize, 1988, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
Supervisor of David W Williams, winner of the 1996 BSDR Colgate Prize.
Supervisor of David W Williams, winner of the 1997 Pre-doctoral IADR Hatton Award.