Dr Elaine Ferguson
I graduated from a Masters in pharmacy having gained a broad knowledge of the principles and techniques of pharmaceutical sciences. This led me to work within the pharmaceutical industry sector where I acquired practical experience of these skills. After qualification as a registered pharmacist I decided to pursue my growing interest in developing novel drug delivery systems since my clinical pharmacy experiences had highlighted the clinical need for new treatments. I was fortunate to be involved in several research collaborations during my PhD, and became increasingly interested in a wound repair project during the last two years of my studies. My expertise in polymer therapeutics, together with my clinical experiences, complements the specialities of the School of Dentistry’s Tissue Repair and Regeneration Group. My research broadly focuses on optimising drug release by attachment of biodegradable polymers, which can target otherwise undeliverable proteins, peptides and drugs to sites of inflammation, e.g. in infection.
- Jan 2013 – present: Lecturer in Polymer Therapeutics, School of Dentistry, Cardiff, UK.
- Nov 2008 – Dec 2012: Research Associate in Polymer Therapeutics, School of Dentistry, Cardiff, UK.
- May 2008 – Oct 2008: Postdoctoral Research Scientist (Nanomedicines EPSRC Platform Grant), Schools of Chemistry and Pharmacy, Cardiff, UK.
- Oct 2004 – Oct 2007: PhD Student (Polymer-Phospholipase Conjugates as Novel Anti-cancer Agents: Dextrin-Phospholipase A2). School of Pharmacy, Cardiff, UK.
- Jul 2004 – present: Locum Pharmacist. Retail
- Jul 2004: Qualification to practice as a pharmacist.
- Feb 2004 – Aug 2004: Pre-registration Pharmacist. Glenfield Hospital, Leicester, UK.
- Sep 1999 – Jun 2003: Master of Pharmacy (Hons) degree. School of Pharmacy, The University of Manchester, UK. Final result: First class
Memberships / External Activities
- Royal Pharmaceutical Society (RPS)
- General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC)
- Cardiff Institute for Tissue Engineering & Repair (CITER)
- Microbiology and Infection Translational Research Group (MITReG)
- European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases (ESCMID)
- British Society of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy (BSAC)
- Manuscript reviewer for numerous scientific journals
- Grant reviewer for various research funding organisations
- Secretary of Cardiff Triathletes
- Provide tutorials & lecture on ‘Engineering Advanced Materials’ and ‘Nanotechnology’ for the MSc in Tissue Engineering & Repair.
- Provide lectures and research project supervision for the MSc in Implantology.
- STEM Ambassador.
Awards / Prizes
- Dec 2012: Competitive Travel Grant: Microbiology and Infection Translational Research Group (MITReG) (£400).
- May 2011: Science Team Award for ‘Best Interdisciplinary Dynamics’, SARTRE Science Showcase. Newport, UK.
- Nov 2010: Oral Presentation, Association of British Academic Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons Annual Meeting. Cardiff, UK (1st prize awarded).
- 2007: Competitive Travel Grants: Merck Sharp & Dohme (£500), Controlled Release Society ($125).
- Jun 2006: Highlights of Student Posters, 33nd Annual Meeting and Exposition of the Controlled Release Society. Vienna, Austria (1st prize awarded).
- 2006: Competitive Travel Grants: Graduate School of Biomedical and Life Sciences travel grant (£300), Thomas Morgan travel grant (£200).
- Apr 2004: Poster prize Postgraduate research day, Welsh School of Pharmacy. Cardiff (1st prize awarded).
- 8 prizes awarded to PhD students under my supervision.