Prof Ivor Chestnutt
Ivor Chestnutt is Professor and Hon. Consultant in Dental Public Health. He qualified BDS from Edinburgh University in 1985 and worked in the Hospital Dental Service in Edinburgh and Dundee before being appointed a Clinical Research Fellow at the University of Glasgow in 1988. In 1990 he gained a Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, being awarded the Dean’s medal as the most distinguished candidate. In 1992 he completed his PhD on the cariogenic potential of oral microorgansims.
In 1995 he was awarded a masters Degree in Public Health, again by the University of Glasgow. His thesis resulted in the first study published in the U.K. on the role of the dental profession in the provision of smoking cessation advice. He holds the Diploma in Dental Public Health, Royal College of Surgeons, England, awarded in 1995.
Following a period as Lecturer in Periodontology he undertook his higher specialist training in Dental Public Health within the NHS in Scotland based in Lanarkshire and Tayside Health Boards. He passed the Intercollegiate Speciality Examination in Dental Public Health in 1998.
He was awarded a Fellowship in Dental Surgery ad eundum by the Royal College of Surgeons of England in 2002 and a Fellowship in Dental Surgery of Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow by election in 2003. He is also a Fellow of the Faculty of Public Health of the Royal College of Physicians and is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
He joined the University of Wales College of Medicine in 1999 as Senior Lecturer and Hon Consultant was promoted to a Readership in Dental Public Health in 2004 and to Professor in Dental Public Health in 2006.
- Ivor Chestnutt is responsible for the coordination of dental public health teaching in the BDS curriculum and teaches audit and clinical governance in the PCD courses.
- At postgraduate level he coordinates the Dental Modules of the Masters Programme in Public Health.
- He also teaches on the South Wales GPT schemes.
- He is co-editor of Churchill’s Pocketbook of Clinical Dentistry, the third edition of which was published in 2007.
Memberships / External Activities
- Member of Examining Board, Intercollegiate Fellowship Examination in Dental Public Health.
- Member Editorial Board, Community Dental Health.
- Consultant to WHO (Middle East Region).
- Member Child Poverty Reduction Group, Wales Assembly Government.