In-Sessional English Language Support
Mae'r cynnwys hwn ar gael yn Saesneg yn unig.
Taking a university course means that you will need to meet the demands of lectures, seminars and assignments. If English is not your first language, you may find these difficult tasks even more challenging.
English Language Programmes’ In-sessional team is here to help and provides English language support for current international students. We can support you with advice on the skills you need for academic study in the UK.
There is currently in-house support for the following groups:
- Undergraduates and postgraduates in Architecture (ARCHI)
- Undergraduates and postgraduates in Business (CARBS)
- Undergraduates and postgraduates in Engineering (ENGIN)
- Postgraduates in English Communications and Philosophy (ENCAP)
- Postgraduates in Journalism, Media and Cultural Studies (JOMEC)
- Undergraduates and postgraduates in Law (LAWPL)
- Postgraduates in the School of Music (MUSIC)
- Postgraduates in Social Sciences (SOCSI)
- Postgraduates in Dermatology (DERM)
Support classes in Schools focus on key areas such as reading and academic writing skills, appropriate use of sources, and oral communication skills.
You will learn more about the support available in your School when you arrive.
Other students can join our Open Access programmes. We run classes in:
- Academic Writing
- Language Improvement (grammar and vocabulary)
- Reading Skills
- Listening and Note-taking
- Seminar Skills/oral communication
- Presentation skills
- Everyday English for University Study
These classes run in the Autumn and Spring Semesters.
We also run a drop-in one-to-one language advice service on Friday afternoons in the Students’ Union.
Students in Schools with in-house support will be invited to take a short diagnostic test during induction. They will then receive an email advising them if they have been allocated to a class.
Enrolment for Open Access classes takes place in induction week and the first week of each semester. We also run some example classes in induction week.
There is no charge for classes in Schools with in-house support.
There is a £25 administration fee each semester for all students joining the Open Access programme. Exchange and EU students also pay an additional tuition fee for each Open Access class they enrol on (£50 for each ten-week class, £25 for each five-week class).
Online interactive English lessons in Academic Writing, Vocabulary and Grammar are also available on the Student Intranet.
Click here to go to our English Language Support pages on the Student Intranet.
Full information about classes and enrolment will be available on the Student Intranet at the start of the new academic year.
If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us at: