Professor Alan Gilmour
Director Undergraduate Studies, Reader & Hon. Consultant in Restorative Dentistry
Mae'r cynnwys hwn ar gael yn Saesneg yn unig.
Dental Education, Scholarship and Innovation
- I am Professor of Restorative Dentistry and Associate Dean of Undergraduate Education
- I oversee all undergraduate programmes but I am Director of the BDS programme and year lead for the Final year of the course (Year 5)
- Much of my time is spent in the administration of the undergraduate programmes ensure that these function well. In such a specialised field these programmes are very intense involving didactic teaching, simulated clinical experience and real clinical experience on patients.
- In addition I spend around 3 sessions direct teaching plus 2 sessions of personal clinical work
- My current research interests are related to the transition of dental undergraduates into the workplace and particularly into Foundation Training. I have also been involved, as an external party, in the quality assurance the the new "Satisfactory completion of Foundation Training" for COPDEND.
- What gives me the most pleasure in my job - seeing new students straight from School develop over the 5 years to become competent dentists in their own right and then seeing them a few years later as confident and successful professional.
Educational Research - transition from undergraduate to vocational trainee (DF1)
Eluants from Dental Materials. - This is an ongoing area of work looking at what is released from some dental materials and the effect that these may have locally and systemically. To datework there have been 1 PhD and 2 MPhil$acirc; s that I have supervised in this area.
Mineralised Tissue Group $acirc; In collaboration with Dr$acirc; s Sloan and Waddington this work is investigating the effect of dental materials on the repair and regeneration of mineralised dental tissues.
Transition from undergraduate to vocational trainee $acirc; this project is investigating the expectations of vocational trainers of new graduates and whether these expectations are being met.
Bachelor of Dental Surgery, University of Edinburgh, 1979
Fellowship in Dental Surgery, RCS of Edinburgh, 1985
Completion of Higher Specialist Training in Restorative Dentistry, RCS of Edinburgh, 1993
Doctor of Philosophy, University of Wales, 1995
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, HEA, 2002
Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching in Higher Education, Open University, 2006
Fellowship in Dental Surgery, RCPS Glasgow, 2011
Professor and Honorary Consultant in Restorative Dentistry
Associate Dean for Undergraduate Studies, School of Dentistry
House Officer & Senior House Officer, 1979 to 1981: Edinburgh Dental Hospital/School
General Dental Practitioner, 1981 to 1984: Messrs. Hales and Anderson, 25 Allan Park, Stirling
Registrar, 1984 to 1986: Edinburgh Dental Hospital/School
Lecturer in Restorative Dentistry, 1986-1996: Dental School, UWCM, Cardiff
Senior Lecturer and Reader in Restorative Dentistry 1996 - 2012, School of Dentistry, Cardiff
- External examiner for Final BDS examination at Queens University, Belfast
- External examiner for MSc in Dental Primary Care ; University of London
- External examiner for Final DDS, University or West Indies
- Examiner panels for MFDS and MRD of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Association for Dental Education in Europe
- British Dental Association
- International Society for Dental Research
- Association of Consultants and Specialists in Restorative Dentistry
- British Society for Restorative Dentistry