Dr Barbara Ryan
Director Postgraduate Taught Programmes and WOPEC Co-Director
Mae'r cynnwys hwn ar gael yn Saesneg yn unig.
My primary research interest is the development of high quality rehabilitation services for people with a visual impairment. As an optometrist I work in a community based low vision service, the Low Vision Service Wales, which operates in over 200 optometry practices and is linked with social and voluntary sector services. Much of my research interest in low vision rehabilitation services stems from my time as the founding Clinical Lead for the service.
As a Director of Wales Optometry Postgraduate Education Centre and the Director of Postgraduate Teaching in the School of Optometry and Vision Sciences, I am interested in the impact of postgraduate and continuing education and training on the work of eye care practitioners. A related area of research interest is knowledge transfer and mobilisation in eye care services.
I am currently Director of Postgraduate Teaching in the School of Optometry and Vision Sciences. I am Module Leader / Co-Leader for 6 Postgraduate Taught Programme Modules:
* Low Vision Theory
* Low Vision Practical
* Low Vision Advanced
* Evidence Based Practice and Clinical Audit.
* Primary Care Theory
* Primary Care Practice
Educational and Professional Qualifications
* Bsc Hons Optometry and Vision Science, City University 1991
* Membership College of Optometrists 1992
* PhD Cardiff University 2009
* Professional Certificate in Glaucoma 2017
* 2012 - present Director, Postgraduate Teaching
* 2009 - present Co-Director, Wales Optometry Postgraduate Optometry Centre
* 2003 - 2012 Training and Accreditation Manager, Welsh Eye Care Initiative Wales Government/ Cardiff University
* 2001 - 2003 Director of the Low Vision Clinic and Clinical Tutor, Bradford University
* 1994 - 1996 Clinical Tutor and Visiting Lecturer, Aston University
Welsh Government positions
* 2012 - 2016 Chief Optometric Advisor, Welsh Government (seconded from Cardiff University)
Previous teaching positions
* 2003 - present Optometrist (0.2 FTE), Monnow Eye Care, Monmouth
* 2002 - 2003 Optometrist, Bradley and Smith Optometrists, Huddersfield
* 2001 - 2002 Optometrist, Specsavers, Halifax
* 1995 - 2000 Senior Optometrist, Scleral Contact Lens Clinic, Birmingham Midland Eye Centre
* 1994 - 1996 Head of Optometry Department (Acting), Birmingham Heartlands Hospital
* 1993 - 1994 Maiduguri Eye Hospital, Nigeria
* 1992 - 1993 Optometrist, Oxford Eye Hospital
* 1991 - 1992 Pre- Registration Optometrist, Oxford Eye Hospital
Previous teaching positions
- 2001 - 2003 Director of the Low Vision Clinic and Clinical Tutor, Bradford University
- 1994 - 1996 Clinical Tutor and Visiting Lecturer, Aston University
* 2003 - 2012 Clinical Lead, Welsh Low Vision Service Hywel Dda Health Board/ Cardiff University
* 1999 - 2001 Head of Low Vision and Eye Health,Royal National Institute for the Blind, London
* 1998 - 1999 Head of Low Vision,The Royal National Institute for the Blind, London
* 1996 - 1998 Low Vision Officer, The Royal National Institute for the Blind, London
* 1995 - 2000 Senior Optometrist, Multi-Disciplinary Low Vision Service, Birmingham Focus
* 2017Optrafair. ‘What more could you do with your career?’
* 2016 The Royal College of Ophthalmologists and College of Optometrists- Working Together, Working Differently Seminar; Integredig
* 2016 Annual Wales Eye Care Conference Wales, Closing address.
* 2016 Low Vision Care- what can every optometrist do? 7th Annual Scientific Sessions of Vision Care Academy, Sri Lanka
* 2016 Thea Eye Health Conference: Lessons learnt in Wales
* 2015 Postgraduate Teaching- what, who and how? 2015 OVN national conference, Holland.
* 2015 Kenynote Lecture. Low Vision in the 21st Century - Hospital Optometry Conference. Low Vision in the 21st Century.
* 2014 Low Vision in the 21st Century- 2014 National Conference Association of Irish optometrists.
* 2013 Invited Keynote Lecture, Wales and West Vision Conference June 2013. Remembering the small numbers in the big picture of Blindness.
* 2013 Invited Lecture, Optometry Tomorrow, College of Optometrists Annual Conference, February
* 2013. Low Vision in the 21st Century.2011 Invited Lecture, Annual Rural Doctors Conference,
* 2011 Invited Lecture, OVN National Optometric Conference, Holland Low Vision in the 21st Century.
* 2010 Invited Lecture and Chair, International Macular Disease Conference, Serbia. Low Vision Rehabilitation for people with Macular Disease.
* 2010 Invited Lecture, National Optometry Conference, London Nov 2010. Postgraduate Optometry Education: Why? What? Who? and How?
* 2010 Invited Keynote Lecture, Low Vision Symposium, Royal Victoria Hospital Belfast Oct 2010. Low Vision in the 21st Century.
* 2010 Chair, Wales Eye Care Conference 2010.
* 2010 Keynote address, European Optometry Conference, Copenhagen May 2010. Postgraduate Optometry Education: Why? What? Who? and How?
* 2009 Invited Keynote Lecture, Low Vision Symposium, Saudi Arabia. Low Vision Rehabilitation.
Committees and reviewing
* Chair, Postgraduate Taught Board of Studies, School of Optometry and Vision Sciences
* WOPEC Board
* School Board, Optometry and Vision Sciences
* 2017 Strategic Advisory Committee, Education Review, General Optical Council.
* 2017 Review Panel member, Regulation and Quality Improvement Authority, Northern Ireland: Review of the implementation of the Developing Eyecare Partnerships Strategy.
* 2017 Steering Group, Scottish Government: A review of low vision service provision in Scotland.
* 2014 to 2016 Quality and Safety Group, Department of Health and Social Services, Welsh Government.
* 2012 to 2016 Chair, Wales Eye Care Steering Board (Welsh Government).
* 2012 to 2016 National Joint Professionals Advisory Committee (Welsh Government).
* 2012 to 2016 Wales Optometric Committee (Welsh Government statutory advisory committee on Optometric Services in Wales)
* 2011 to 2012 Deputy Chair, Low Vision Service Development Committee (Statutory Committee Advising Welsh Assembly Government on Low Vision Services)
* 2009 to2011 Deputy Chair MEGAFOCUS (Statutory Committee Advising Welsh Assembly Government on Eyecare for BME groups)
* 2007 to 2012 Trustee, Sight Support (NGO).
* 2011 - 2012 Chair, Low Vision Higher Qualifications Committee, College of Optometrists
* 2011 - 2016 External Examiner, Aston University
* 2008 - 2015 College of Optometry, OSCE Writing Group
* 2008 - 2009 College of Optometry, Final Assessment Review Group
* 2006 - 2012 External Examiner, MSc Visual Impairment, City University
* 2004 - 2013 Wales Low Vision Advisory Group
* 1998 - 2000 Professional Secretary, Low Vision Consensus Committee
* 1996 - 2000 Optical Vouchers Consultative Committee (Statutory Committee Advising DOH)
* 1996 - 2013 Examiner, The College of Optometrists
- Low Vision Rehabilitation
- The eye care requirements of children with special needs
Research Funding at Cardiff University
- 2012/ 2014 Collaborator NIHR PI Prof Christine Dickinson
- 2011/2014 Collaborator GDBA PI Margrain TH
- 2011/2013 Co-applicant RNIB PI JM Woodhouse
- 2007/2010 Co- Applicant Welsh Assembly Government PI JM Woodhouse
- 2007/2009 Co-applicant Welsh Office of Research and Development PI TH Margrain
- 2007/2008 PI Thomas Pocklington Trust