Dr Barbara Ryan
Director Postgraduate Taught Programmes and WOPEC Co-Director
Mae'r cynnwys hwn ar gael yn Saesneg yn unig.
I am currently Director of Postgraduate Taught Programmes; Certificate, Diploma and MSc in Clinical Optometry, a Certificate in Eye Care Governance and a Certificate in Glaucoma.
I am also Module Leader or Tutor on a number of the postgraduate modules; 3 Low Vision Modules, Legal Aspects of UK Optometry, Evidence Based Optometry and Clinical Audit, Study Skills.
Educational and Professional Qualifications
- Bsc Hons Optometry and Vision Science, City University 1991
- Membership College of Optometrists 1992
- PhD Cardiff University 2009
- 2012 - present Director, Postgraduate Taught Programme
- 2009 - 2012 Co-Director, Wales Optometry Postgraduate Optometry Centre
- 2003 - 2012 Training and Accreditation Manager, Welsh Eye Care Initiative Wales Government/ Cardiff University
Welsh Government positions
- 2012 - present Chief Optometric Advisor, Welsh Government (seconded from Cardiff University
Previous teaching positions
- 2001 - 2003 Director of the Low Vision Clinic and Clinical Tutor, Bradford University
- 1994 - 1996 Clinical Tutor and Visiting Lecturer, Aston University
- 2003 - present Optometrist (0.2 FTE), Monnow Eye Care, Monmouth
- 2002 - 2003 Optometrist, Bradley and Smith Optometrists, Huddersfield
- 2001 - 2002 Optometrist, Specsavers, Halifax
- 1995 - 2000 Senior Optometrist, Scleral Contact Lens Clinic, Birmingham Midland Eye Centre
- 1994 - 1996 Head of Optometry Department (Acting), Birmingham Heartlands Hospital
- 1993 - 1994 Maiduguri Eye Hospital, Nigeria
- 1992 - 1993 Optometrist, Oxford Eye Hospital
- 1991 - 1992 Pre- Registration Optometrist, Oxford Eye Hospital
- 2003 - 2012 Clinical Lead, Welsh Low Vision Service Hywel Dda Health Board/ Cardiff University
- 1999 - 2001 Head of Low Vision and Eye Health,Royal National Institute for the Blind, London
- 1998 - 1999 Head of Low Vision,The Royal National Institute for the Blind, London
- 1996 - 1998 Low Vision Officer, The Royal National Institute for the Blind, London
- 1995 - 2000 Senior Optometrist, Multi-Disciplinary Low Vision Service, Birmingham Focus
Many Continuing Education events for Optometrists.
- 2011 Invited Lecture, Annual Rural Doctor$acirc; s Conference, April 2011. Visual impairment in older people.
- 2011 Invited Lecture, OVN National Optometric Conference, Holland Low Vision in the 21st Century.
- 2010 Invited Lecture and Chair, International Macular Disease Conference, Serbia. Low Vision Rehabilitation for people with Macular Disease.
- 2010 Invited Lecture, National Optometry Conference, London Nov 2010. Postgraduate Optometry Education: Why? What? Who? and How?
- 2010 Invited Keynote Lecture, Low Vision Symposium, Royal Victoria Hospital Belfast Oct 2010. Low Vision in the 21st Century.
- 2010 Chair, Wales Eye Care Conference 2010.
- 2010 Keynote address, European Optometry Conference, Copenhagen May 2010. Postgraduate Optometry Education: Why? What? Who? and How?
- 2009 Invited Keynote Lecture, Low Vision Symposium, Saudi Arabia. Low Vision Rehabilitation.
Committees and reviewing
- Director, Postgraduate Taught Programmes
- Chair, Postgraduate Exam Board, Optometry and Vision Sciences
- Chair, Postgraduate Board of Studies
- Founding Co-Director, WOPEC
- School Board, Optometry and Vision Sciences
- 2013 - present Chair, Eye Health Care Steering Group, Welsh Government
- 2011 - 2012 Chair, Low Vision Higher Qualifications Committee, College of Optometrists
- 2011 - present External Examiner, Aston University
- 2011 - 2012 Deputy Chair, Low Vision Service Development Committee (Statutory Committee Advising Welsh Assembly Government on Low Vision Services)
- 2009 - 2011 Deputy Chair MEGAFOCUS (Statutory Committee Advising Welsh Assembly Government on Eyecare for BME groups)
- 2008 - present College of Optometry, OSCE Writing Group
- 2008 - 2009 College of Optometry, Final Assessment Review Group
- 2007 - 2012 Trustee, Sight Support.
- 2006 - 2012 External Examiner, MSc Visual Impairment, City University
- 2004 - 2013 Wales Low Vision Advisory Group
- 1998 - 2000 Professional Secretary, Low Vision Consensus Committee
- 1996 - 2000 Optical Vouchers Consultative Committee (Statutory Committee Advising DOH)
- 1996 - present Examiner, The College of Optometrists
- Low Vision Rehabilitation
- The eye care requirements of children with special needs
Research Funding at Cardiff University
- 2012/ 2014 Collaborator NIHR PI Prof Christine Dickinson
- 2011/2014 Collaborator GDBA PI Margrain TH
- 2011/2013 Co-applicant RNIB PI JM Woodhouse
- 2007/2010 Co- Applicant Welsh Assembly Government PI JM Woodhouse
- 2007/2009 Co-applicant Welsh Office of Research and Development PI TH Margrain
- 2007/2008 PI Thomas Pocklington Trust