Dr Thomas Cropper
Tutor (Marine and Environmental Geography)
Mae'r cynnwys hwn ar gael yn Saesneg yn unig.
- Regional and Global Climate Change
- Teleconnections and Climate Variability
- Coastal Upwelling
- Iceberg Trajectory Modelling
- Tutor – Marine and Environmental Geography (2016-2018) University of Cardiff
- Post-doctoral Research Associate – ERACLIM2 Project (2015) University of Lisbon
- Post-doctoral Research Associate – Iceberg Trajectory Modelling (2014-2015) University of Sheffield
- PhD Climate Science (2010-2015) University of Sheffield
- MSc Polar and Alpine Change (2009-2010) University of Sheffield
- BSc Physical Geography (2006-2009) University of Sheffield
Honours and awards
- Hart Prize (2008) Best performance in Physical Geography, University of Sheffield
- Best Presentation (2012) Royal Meteorological Society Student Conference, University of Leeds
- Associate Fellow of the Niskanen Center
- Member of the Royal Meteorological Society
I will be primarily teaching on the topics of Palaeo- and contemporary climate science. I can provide guidance and dissertation supervision covering aspects of climate/ocean science and statistics / time series analysis.
My academic upbringing was at the University of Sheffield. I graduated with degrees in Physical Geography (BSc) in 2009 and Polar and Alpine Change (MSc) in 2010. My PhD, "Climate Change Across the Macaronesian Geographical Region, 1850-2100", awarded in June 2015, was supervised by Professor Edward Hanna and Professor Grant Bigg. During November 2014 - February 2015 I worked with Professor Bigg as a post-doctoral research assistant on a short-term iceberg trajectory modelling project with various project partners. During March 2015 - September 2015, I was a post-doc working under the supervision of Dr Maria Antónia Valente on the ERA-CLIM2 project at the Foundation of the Faculty of Sciences, University of Lisbon.
Since December 2015 I have collaborated with the Niskanen Center as an adjunct fellow, and I joined the Department of Earth and Ocean Sciences here at Cardiff as a Tutor in Marine and Environmental Geography in June 2016. I am interested in all aspects of climate and ocean science, with a particular emphasis on teleconnections and climate variability of the mid-latitudes.