Dr Manon Pritchard
Mae'r cynnwys hwn ar gael yn Saesneg yn unig.
My research has been focused on elucidating the mode of action of antibiofilm polymer therapies for the treatment of multi-drug resistant bacteria. I currently work on conventional microbiological assays, imaging and modelling (including drug screening, atomic force-, confocal and scanning electron microscopy), but also work “across the conventional boundary” of the biological and engineering sciences. In this I work with engineers and bio-informatics to utilise technologies to study the interaction of polymer therapies with bacterial surfaces and biopolymers to study how we might perturb and treat biofilm infections. This includes dynamic-light scattering, Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy, small angle neutron scattering and rheology. I have gained an understanding of translational research leading to a series of successful publications. I am now eager to develop my career in Nanomedicine to drive our research into further clinical trials. Currently, I examine both undergraduate and postgraduate dental students, providing seminars and lectures on microbiology.
- 2014-current: Post-doctoral research associate with an honorary clinical contract
- 2011- 2014: EU-funded KESS PhD student, Cardiff School of Dentistry, Wales (GDP 0.2 fte)
- 2010-2011: Dental Foundation Year 2:
- SHO Maxillofacial Surgery on-call (Prince Charles Hospital, Merthyr Tydfil, Wales)
- SHO Paediatric Dentistry (Cardiff School of Dentistry, Wales)
- 2009-2010: Dental Foundation Year 1 (General Dental Practitioner, 29 Park Crescent, Barry, Wales)
Education and qualification
- 2011-2014: Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), Cardiff School of Dentistry, Wales
"OligoG alginate nanomedicine mediated disruption of mucin barriers and microbial biofilms"
- 2013: Member of the Faculty of Dental Surgeons (MFDS), Royal College of Edinburgh
- 2004-2009: First Class Honours, Bachelor of Dental surgery (BDS), Cardiff School of Dentistry, Wales
Honours and awards
2015 Poster prize: Cardiff and Vale UHB Research and Development Conference. Cardiff, UK (1st prize awarded).
2013 Poster Prize: European Tissue Repair Society. Reims, France (1st prize awarded).
2012 Poster prize: Welsh Microbiology & Infection Translational Research Group (2nd prize awarded).
2012 Oral Presentation: Cardiff University 27th Annual Life Sciences Postgraduate Research Day. Cardiff, UK (1st prize awarded).
2012 Cesare Romano Award for Cystic Fibrosis Research (New Therapies): 35th European Cystic Fibrosis Conference. Dublin, Ireland.
2006 Freda Berg Prize in Oral Biology: School of Dentistry, Cardiff, UK.
2006 Undergraduate Scholarship for ‘Best performance in first year’: Cardiff University, Cardiff, UK.
2005 Louis Cohen Prize for Anatomy: School of Dentistry, Cardiff, UK.
- General Dental Council (GDC)
- Royal College of Surgeons, Edniburgh
- Cardiff Institute for Tissue Engineering & Repair (CITER)
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- European Tissue Repair Society (ETRS)
- Welsh Dental Committee
- European Tissue Repair Society
- Welsh Dental Committee
MSc Implantology 2011-present: Lecturing, examining and marking on the cellular and molecular biology module
MSc Implantology 2015-present: Supervision of dissertation projects (3 students to date)
MSc Tissue Engineering 2015-present: Exam marking
Dental undergraduates: Seminar teaching in oral microbiology, exam marking and viva examiner
2014: Advanced Teaching Skills: Stimulating, Lively and High Yield Learning through the. Use of Interactive and Innovative Teaching Approaches: Harvard University, USA
2015 QBiotics Ltd (Co-I): £345,000
2015 Travel grant, European Cystic Fibrosis Society, Brussels: £300
2012 Small Angle Neutron Scattering experiments, ILL, Grenoble (Co-I): £19,699
2011 European Social Fund, KESS PhD Scholarship, Cardiff Univeresity: £91,000