Wayne Nishio Ayre
Lecturer in Biomaterials
Mae'r cynnwys hwn ar gael yn Saesneg yn unig.
My ambition is to become an established academic in the field of biomaterials, by delivering high impact research and teaching excellence. My research interests include: the design, development and testing of medical devices and biomaterials; adopting an inter-disciplinary approach to research through academic and industrial scientific collaborations; understanding and improving drug delivery and antimicrobial aspects of biomaterials; and understanding and enhancing the interactions between medical devices, tissues and cells. My particular areas of interest revolve around using lipid coatings and delivery systems to enhance osseointegration and prevent infections of orthopaedic implants and dental materials.
I have experience and knowledge in:
- Mechanical testing
- Material characterisation
- Cell culture
- Biological assays
- Microbiological techniques
- Liposomal drug delivery systems
- Patient consent and recruitment
- Intellectual property
- September 2016 – Present: Lecturer in Biomaterials – Cardiff School of Dentistry.
- November 2014 – September 2016: Research fellow – Cardiff School of Dentistry, Tissue Engineering & Reparative Dentistry. Life Sciences Research Network Wales: Delivery of osteogenic molecules from acrylic bone cement to encourage regenerative bone repair around cemented joint replacements.
- September 2014 – November 2014: Research associate – Cardiff School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. SATRTE Bio-E Pilot Project: Phosphonate-tethered lysophosphatidic acid-functionalised titanium: a novel surface finish for bone regenerative applications.
- June 2014 – August 2014: Research associate – Cardiff School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. SATRTE Health Technology Challenge Pilot Project: Liposomal antimicrobial delivery system for PMMA bone cement
- December 2013 – May 2014: Research associate – Cardiff School of Dentistry, Tissue Engineering & Reparative Dentistry. Dunhill Medical Trust: Preventing dental pain, abscess and tooth loss in older adults: development of antimicrobial restorative materials to manage dental disease in older adults
- September 2013 – November 2013: Research assistant – Cardiff School of Engineering, Institute of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering. Clean Sky/EU Commission: Developing, manufacturing and testing composite materials for aerospace applications.
Education and qualification
- 2009 – 2013: Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Mechanical Engineering, Cardiff University/Arthritis Research UK Biomechanics and Bioengineering Centre. Inter-disciplinary research project between the schools of Engineering and Pharmacy, developing and testing novel formulations of PMMA bone cements to enhance mechanical, drug delivery and osseointegrative properties.
- 2006 – 2009: Bachelor of Engineering (B.Eng. First Class Hons) in Medical Engineering, School of Engineering, Cardiff University
Honours and awards
- 2017 - Welsh Crucible - Future Research Leaders of Wales Programme
- 2016 – British Orthopaedic Research Society – International Travelling Fellowship
- 2015 – Life Sciences Research Network Wales: 2nd Drug Discovery Congress – Best Post-doctoral presentation
- 2015 – Cardiff Institute of Tissue Engineering and Repair Young Investigator Award
- 2014 – IADR-PER GSK-Mineralised tissue group prize.
- 2014 – The Worshipful Company of Engineers Mercia Award in Medical Engineering.
- 2014 – Cardiff Institute of Tissue Engineering and Repair Travel Bursary.
- 2013 – Academy of Pharmaceutical Sciences (PharmSci) Poster Award sponsored by GlaxoSmithKline (GSK).
- 2010 & 2013 – South Wales Institute of Engineering Educational Trust (SWIEET) William Norman Thomas Travel Award.
- 2006 – Institute of Mechanical Engineering (IMechE) 3rd Year Project Prize.
- 2006 – Cardiff School of Engineering MMM School Prize.
- Member of the International Association for Dental Research/British Society for Oral and Dental Research.
- Member of British Orthopaedics Research Society.
- Member of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers.
- Member of the Cardiff Institute of Tissue Engineering and Repair.
- Ayre WN, Scott T, Hallam K, Blom AW, Denyer SP, Bone H, Mansell JP. 2016. Phosphonate-tethered lysophosphatidic acid-functionalised titanium: a novel surface finish for cementless orthopaedic implants. British Orthopaedic Research Society Annual Meeting, Glasgow.
- Ayre WN, Waddington RJ, Evans SL, Mason DJ, Evans B, Birchall JC, Morgan-Jones R, Denyer SP, Sloan AJ. 2016. Delivery of osteogenic liposomal bone morphogenetic protein-2 from poly(methyl methacrylate) bone cement. Tissue and Cell Engineering Society Meeting, UCL, London.
- Ayre WN, Evans B, Mason DJ, Birchall JC, Evans SL, Denyer SP, Morgan-Jones R, Waddington RJ and Sloan AJ. 2015. Delivery of osteogenic molecules from acrylic bone cement to encourage regenerative bone repair around cemented joint replacements. Southwest Regional Regenerative Medicine Meeting, Bristol.
- Ayre, WN, Roberts, J, Marsh, LL, Evans, SL, Maillard, J, Denyer, SP, Lynch, CD and Sloan, AJ. 2014. Novel Ex vivo Models for Endodontic Infection and Antimicrobial Assessment. IADR/PER Congress, Dubrovnik, Croatia.
- Ayre, WN, Birchall, JC, Evans, SL and Denyer, SP. 2013. Liposomal therapeutic delivery system for poly(methyl methacrylate) bone cement. APS PharmSci, Edinburgh, UK.
- Ayre, WN, Birchall, JC, Evans, SL and Denyer, SP. 2013. Development of a novel liposomal therapeutic delivery system for poly(methyl methacrylate) bone cement. British Orthopaedic Research Society and Bone Research Society Joint Meeting, Oxford, UK.
- Ayre, WN, Madete, JK, Jones, DK and Holt, CA. 2010. Quantifying manual and bi-manual tasks using motion capture for brain imaging. Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering, Valencia, Spain.
Committees and reviewing
- Specialty Editor for Bone and Joint Research
- Dental School Research Ethics Committee
- ARUK research committee
- Tutor committee
Dental Surgery (BDS) and Dental Therapy and Dental Hygiene (BSc) - Year 2 Dental Materials
- Deliver lectures on material properties and metallurgy.
- Lead on composite and dental material practical sessions.
- Setting/assessment of Primary BDS and Finals examinations.
- Setting/assessment of Year 2 poster, oral and extended essays
- Academic and personal tutor for a number of students.
Dental Surgery (BDS) - Year 4/5 Final Year Project
- Lead final year project module.
- Deliver lectures on module.
- Supervise 2/3 laboratory-based projects annually.
- Setting/assessment of project dissertations.
Pharmacy (MPharm) - Year 1 Structure and Function of Cells and Microbes
- Lead practical sessions on microbiology.
- Setting/assessment of coursework.
Oral Biology (MSc)
- Lead on the Cell Biology of Oral Tissue module.
- Delivery lectures on cell and matrix biology, biomechanical forces and response of tissues to biomaterials.
- Setting/assessment of oral presentations, extended essay questions and exam questions.
- Supervise MSc student project.
Tissue Engineering (MSc)
- Supervise MSc student project.
- Assess MSc project dissertations and poster presentations.
- Supervising 3 PhD students across the Schools of Dentistry and Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences..
2018 – Wellcome Trust ISSF3 – “Novel antimicrobial and osteogenic laser-sintered implant surfaces using ultra short-pulsed laser ablated micro/nano-topographies”. £49,933. April 2018. Principal applicant.
2017 – MRC Confidence in Concept- “Robust and facile lipid coating to enhance lubrication and reduce biofilm formation on urinary catheters”. £62,427. August 2017. Principal applicant.
2017 – Cardiff University Research Infrastructure Fund “Spark Plasma Sintering (SPS) system”. £179,000. April 2017. Co-applicant
2016 – NHS R&D Equipment bid “3D Printer”. £8,000 February 2016. Principal applicant.
2016 – Life Sciences Bridging Fund “Optimisation and toxicity testing of the liposomal drug delivery system for orthopaedic bone cement”. £71,114. January 2017. Principal applicant.
2016 – Wellcome Trust ISSF “Enhancing wear properties of CRF-PEEK and UHMWPE acetabular cups using a novel lipid bilayer surface functionalization.” £23,067.00 July 2016. Principal applicant.
2016 – NHS R&D Equipment bid “Rotary evaporator”. £5737.50 February 2016. Principal applicant.
2015 – Dunhill Medical Trust – “Preventing aseptic loosening of cemented joint replacements in older adults: delivery of osteogenic molecules from PMMA bone cement to encourage bone repair and implant osseointegration”. £86,104 February 2015 – August 2016. Co-applicant.
2015 – NIHR i4i – “Fluorophosphonate biofunctionalisation of biomaterials for orthopaedic applications”. £500,000 September 2015 – August 2017. Co-applicant.
2015 – MRC Proximity to Discover Scheme – “Novel biomimetic, antimicrobial and bioactive dentine scaffolds for vital pulp therapies”. £20,000 October 2015 – December 2015. Principal applicant.
2014 – Renishaw PhD Studentship – “Bacterial adhesion and inhibition at dental implant and abutment surfaces”. £50,000 October 2015 – 2018. Co-applicant.
2014 – Life Sciences Research Network Wales Research Project – “Delivery of osteogenic molecules from acrylic bone cement to encourage regenerative bone repair around cemented joint replacements”. £49,929 February 2015 – 2016. Principal applicant.
2014 – SARTRE Health Technology Challenge Scheme – “Liposomal antimicrobial delivery system for PMMA bone cement”. £19,635 July – September 2014. Principal applicant.
- Denyer S, Evans S, Ayre W. Liposomal drug delivery system for bone cements. International Patent number: WO 2015004450 A1.