Visas and immigration

Mae'r cynnwys hwn ar gael yn Saesneg yn unig.

If you want to come to the UK as a student, it is very likely that you will need to apply for a Tier 4 student visa before you leave your home country.

The majority of international students need a student visa. Students who do not need a student visa are largely nationals of the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland.

If you're from a Commonwealth country, including USA and Canada, you will need to apply for a student visa before you leave home.

Even if you have 'home' fee status, it is important to check whether you need a visa. Some students, particularly those from some British territories, may have home fee status but also require a visa.

The 'Do you need a visa?' UKVI webpages will help you determine whether you need to obtain a visa before you travel to the UK. It also contains guidance on the type of visa you might need.

A flag consisting of multiple European flags

Before you apply for your visa

Information about who can help, which visa you should apply for and when, as well as how to get the documents translated.

Hands typing on a keyboard

Applying for your visa

Information on our visa application guidelines, if you will need an interview and how long your visa will take to arrive.

Canolfan Mileniwm Cymru

Once you have your visa

Find out what to do next, when can you come to the UK, how long can you study and how long your visa is valid for.

4 students on steps

Extending a visa

Information about extending your visa if you're already a student in the UK, what to do if you plan to go home for the holidays and who to contact for help.

Postgraduate students discussing study options

Collecting your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

Information about how and when to collect your BRP once you're in the UK.

A white signpost against a blue sky which reads help, support, advice, guidance, assistance.

Bringing your family

Advice on bringing family members and the Immigration Health Surcharge.