MSc Eco-Cities students had an 8-day field study visit to the Haicang District of Xiamen, China as part of their module Live Project for Eco-City Development.
During the trip students visited and interviewed senior staff from a number of different local government departments, including:
- Economy and Trade
- Bureau of Construction Administration
- Duty Free Port Administration
- Development and Reform Commission
- Bureau of Human Resources and Social Security
- Bureau of Agriculture and Water Resources
- Bureau of Statistics
- Bureau of Investment Promotion
- Bureau of Land Administration and Housing
- Bureau of Planning Administration
- Bureau of Environmental Protection
- Bureau of Transport.
Students also visited a public bicycle system; international shipping centre and port, potential new town development site, waster power station, and various urban and rural areas.
From the field study visit, the students have a gained a better understanding of sustainable (eco-city) planning and development in practice and the experience will benefit their future career development.