Staff and students at the School involve themselves in many charity fundraisers and in the last academic year we raised £3,988 for a variety of different charities and good causes.
Fundraising from cake bakes, dress downs, staff-student football matches, moustache grows, half marathons and marathons have helped us reach this fantastic total and also helped create the community atmosphere we are proud to be part of at the School.
Staff even dedicated their 'Support Staff Team Building Day' to help the local community by cleaning cars at the Glamorgan Building to raise money for the RCMA Riverside Community Allotment and then clearing a plot of land at the allotment itself.
Staff and students at the School have already raised £787 this academic year between:
- Pink Friday Breast Cancer Care – Staff and students dressed in an item of pink for the day and held a cake sale
- Size of Wales – Staff and students dressed in an item of green for the day
- Jeans for Genes – Staff and students wore denim for the day and held a cake sale
- BBC Children in Need – Staff and students held a cake sale, a coffee morning and played Children in Need bingo.
- Movember – Staff and students grew moustaches for the month and held a finale in which moustache related items were sold
- British Heart Foundation – A staff member donned a Santa suit and took part in a Santa Jog
- Save the Children – Staff and students wore Christmas Jumpers and held a cake sale.
The Glamorgan Building which houses both the School of Planning and Geography and the School of Social Sciences has managed to collect 1379.5 kgs of food in 2013 alone for the Cardiff Foodbank and we will continue to collect and promote the excellent work provided by such a scheme.