The School of Geography and Planning is one of the leading human geography schools in the UK. We have built our reputation on delivering cutting edge research and innovative teaching at the vital nexus of human geography and urban planning.
What makes us special?
- Teaching Excellence: We consistently achieve high ratings in the National Student Survey with a 91% satisfaction rate in 2015 *
- Research Excellence: The 2014 Research Excellence Framework, undertaken by the UK funding councils, placed the School 9th in the UK, with 85% of its research assessed as world leading or internationally excellent.
- Professional links and employability: Our degree programmes are recognised by professional bodies, and a 2014 University survey of graduate destinations showed that 89% of Geography and Planning students secured graduate level employment or graduate level further study within six months of graduation.**
- Degree programmes: We currently offer three undergraduate degrees, nine taught postgraduate degree programmes, and a variety of postgraduate research opportunities
- Over 40 teaching staff: Professors, Readers, Senior Lecturers and Lecturers
- 20 research staff: Research Associates and Fellows working on a variety of projects
- 15 Professional Services staff: The School Manager leads a team of administrative and technical support staff
- 450 undergraduate students, on average class sizes are less than 60 students
- 220 taught postgraduate students, on average class sizes are less than 30 students
- Over 50 PhD students
The School is based within the Glamorgan Building, which accommodates the majority of our teaching. The Glamorgan Building is part of the Cathays Park campus, located in and around Cardiff's beautiful civic centre.
* NSS 2015
**DLHE data 2013/14