1. Geography, Place and Culture
This interest focuses on the reciprocal relationships between the discipline of geography, the practice of culture, and the creation of place. This interest has grown out of two externally funded research projects (NB) and has resulted in a range of peer-reviewed journal papers in the areas of local culture and place [1-2], cultures of nature , theories of place , and the role of geography in making cultural citizens . I have participated in a range of ESRC seminar events and conferences, and contributed scholarly reviews in this area [see 6-9]. Most significant to this strand of research is the publication of an international textbook that establishes a new agenda for the cultural geography of place . This key text, ‘Understanding Cultural Geography: Places and Traces’ was published by Routledge in September 2009.
NB: In 2002-3, I was co-applicant with Dr M Woods and Dr W.J. Edwards (working at the University of Wales, Aberystwyth) on “Research Study into the Role, Functions and Future Potential of Town and Community Councils in Wales”,a project funded by Welsh Assembly Government (£100,700). This project was secured through the team’s previous work with the ESRC on “Power, Participation and Rural Community Governance in England & Wales”, part of the Democracy & Participation Programme (2000-2002, £167,620).
- Anderson, J. 2008 Problems & Participation: ‘Local Knowledge’ and Planning Consultation in Wales. Urban Planning International. 23. 6. 41-46
- Anderson, J. 2008 Talk to the hand? Community Councils and Planning Consultation. Planning Theory. 7. 3. 284-300
- Anderson, J. forthcoming. Transient convergence and relational sensibility: beyond the modern constitution of nature. Emotion, Space, and Society.
- Submitted paper: Anderson, J. Constancy and change: The Creative Tension at the Heart of ‘Place’. Area. August 2009.
- Anderson, J. et al. 2008 What is geography’s contribution to making citizens? Geography. 93 1 34-39.
- Anderson, J. 2007 On Cloke & Johnston (eds): Spaces of Geographical Thought: Deconstructing Human Geography's Binaries. Ethics Place & Environment. 10 2 245-55
- Anderson, J. 2004 On Davidson: Phobic geographies. The phenomenology and spatiality of identity. European Spatial Research and Policy 11 2 168-170
- Anderson, J. 2009 A History of Cultural Geography: Exploration, Empiricism, and the Cultural Geographies of Landscape. Invited Paper: Geography Compass. May.
- Anderson, J. 2009 A History of Cultural Geography: Representations, Non-Representations and Cultural Geography Today. Invited Paper: Geography Compass. May.
- Anderson, J. 2009 Understanding Cultural Geography: Places & Traces. Routledge: London & New York.