Welcome to the School of Geography and Planning, an internationally recognised centre of excellence with regards to its teaching, research and engagement activities. The School offers four exciting undergraduate courses that build on a shared model of research-led teaching: Human Geography; Human Geography and Planning; Urban Planning and Development; and Urban Planning and Development (with placement year). Please find below ten reasons why you should consider studying for an undergraduate degree with us.
1. The School has an outstanding reputation for the quality of its courses. According to the 2016 Times / Sunday Times University Guide, Cardiff is the number one planning school in the UK. The same league table positions Cardiff 7th out of 72 UK universities for the quality of its geography courses.
2. We consistently receive excellent student satisfaction scores. Overall satisfaction of final year undergraduate students in the School of Geography and Planning has ranged between 91% and 100% in the last three National Student Surveys (NSS). The School maintained this high performance in the 2016 NSS with a score of 92%.
3. Our students are highly employable. The latest destination of leavers survey reveals that 97% of students who graduated in 2015 were in employment or further study within six months of graduation. Our Urban Planning and Development and Human Geography and Planning courses are also accredited by the Royal Town Planning Institute.
4. We offer an exciting, innovative and supportive learning environment. With modules delivering the best in research-led teaching and offering a diversity of teaching and assessment methods, students are able to maximise their learning, employability, and citizenship potential.
5. We actively encourage our students to connect academic knowledge to real world situations. Our research and teaching seeks to make connections between human geography and planning. Our courses promote the development of critical thinking about the relations between space, place and environment and provide students with the analytical skills to examine these relations. Using case studies, field study visits and work placement opportunities, we encourage our students to relate this academic knowledge and these analytical skills to a variety of real world situations.
6. We are an international school. One-third of members of academic staff come from countries outside of the UK and we have a research footprint in four continents of the world. This means our courses are truly international in both content and delivery. We encourage our students to spend time abroad during their courses through our field study visits to Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Tanzania, Hong Kong, Los Angeles and New York, and study placements in one of our international partner universities in Europe, Australia, North America and Asia. Cardiff University provides support and funding for international study through its Global Opportunities Centre and Languages For All scheme.
7. We position students at the heart of the School. We operate a personal tutoring system that provides one-to-one academic and pastoral support to students. In addition, student representatives for each course meet with academic staff on a regular basis at staff–student panels to discuss issues relating to teaching in the School. We also recognize the achievements of our high performing students through an annual awards event.
8. The School of Geography and Planning is based in a long established research-intensive university. Cardiff University was established in 1883 and has developed into one of the UK’s top universities, as measured by research and teaching quality. It is a member of the Russell Group of UK universities, which represents the top 24 research-intensive universities in the UK. Cardiff University was ranked fifth for the quality of its research and second for the wider impact of this research out of all UK universities in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework.
9. We are renowned for the excellence of our research. The School has been ranked in the top 10 in all UK research assessment exercises since the 1980s for the quality of its research. Geography in Cardiff was ranked 44th in the world in the 2016 QS world university subject rankings.
10. We are based in an attractive building on a green campus in the heart of a beautiful capital city. Cardiff offers all the cultural, retail and sporting facilities that you expect of a capital city. It is also a compact city, which means that travelling between halls of residence, the university and the city centre involves relatively short distances. The School of Geography and Planning occupies an iconic Grade I listed building that is positioned in the beautiful civic centre of Cardiff and surrounded by attractive public parks and gardens. As such, we offer our students a city centre location with a campus feel.