Funding and costs
The Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) scheme is part funded by a number of sponsors including all of the UK Research Councils, Welsh Government and Innovate UK, who are responsible for managing the scheme.
The sponsors provide the following funding:
- a 67% for SMEs
- a 50% grant for large organisations
Each KTP grant application is assessed against a list of criteria to ensure that the proposal fits within the agreed mission and objectives of the programme.
The net cost to you varies depending on the project but as a guide:
- £20,000 per year for an SME
- £30,000 per year for a large organisation
This investment, only slightly more than a starting wage for a high-level graduate, gives you:
- an Associate working full-time on the project
- the time of the lead academic
- a travel and equipment budget
- access to the University’ facilities and equipment that the Associate may require to do their job
- an Associate Training and Development budget which gives the Associate new skills to enhance the project further
- a range of administrative and logistical support from the University and the central KTP team.
How to apply
- A KTP grant application is completed jointly by you and the academic partner, with support from our KTP team
- The regional KTP Adviser will visit you to confirm the project’s viability at an early stage of the process
- The KTP team coordinate the whole application process, to ensure that the appropriate deadline is met.
Innovate UK have recently changed the KTP submission process to bring it in line with their other funding competitions. They have increased the number of submission deadlines from six to ten per year, with eight themed and two open calls. The calls for 2017/18 are listed below:
- 8 March 2017 - KTP Open Call
- 12 April 2017 - Health & Life Sciences
- 10 May 2017 - Emerging & Enabling Technologies
- 26 July 2017 - Manufacturing & Materials
- 9 August 2017 - Open
- 20 September 2017 - Infrastructure Systems
- 11 October 2017 - Health & Life Sciences
- 8 November 2017 - Emerging & Enabling Technologies
- 17 January 2018 - Manufacturing & Materials
- 7 February 2018 - Open
- 14 March 2018 - Infrastructure Systems
For assistance with the submission calls or any KTP project, please contact the our KTP office.
Knowledge Transfer Partnerships team
- Telephone:+44 (0)29 2087 0952