Biomass CHP Feasibility
There has been some discussion relating to the development of a biomass CHP system for Cathays Park, Cardiff. The system would serve the University, WAG and City buildings.
The main points relating to the project are summarised below:
- It would 'decarbonise' a large area of the city, and link to the WAG, City and Universities ambitions for a low carbon future.
- It would be located on the University's Maindy site.
- It would be fuelled by wood biomass sourced from the Wales forestry.
- The fuel would be collected and processed close to its source, which would provide a regional economic link between the city and the rural area of Wales.
- There is the option for the fuel to be transported to the Maindy site by rail.