Gabriela Zapata Poveda is an architect with an interest in sustainable buildings, assessment systems, and low carbon building design and performance. She did an undergraduate degree at the Universidad Catolica de Santiago de Guayaquil (UCSG), Ecuador. She has a masters degree in Building Ecologies and Emerging Technologies from the Georgia Institute of Technology (USA), sponsored by Fulbright and SENACYT grants. At Georgia Tech, she participated in research projects related to the development of BIM and a sustainable rating system. She is a qualified LEED AP. She was instructor at the School of Architecture in Universidad Católica de Santiago de Guayaquil (Ecuador) and researcher at IPUR (Institute of Urban and Regional Planning).
Learning from Low Carbon Design
British legislation is enforcing the decarbonisation of buildings. It is important to understand how building professionals (engineers, architects, technicians) are accounting for the low carbon agenda when delivering buildings. This PhD research aims to explore challenges and opportunities in low carbon building design. It will identify how communication takes place within teams and map out tools and routines used by practitioners to facilitate the adoption of low carbon projects. This understanding is likely to inform future mechanisms to raise awareness across the industry.
- Zapata Poveda, M. G. Low carbon domestic building definition in UK. Oral presentation. Conference Sustainable Building - Towards Zero Impact Buildings and Environments, 2010
- Zapata Poveda, M. G. Holistic Energy Efficient Design in the San Francisco Federal Building Magazine, School of Architecture Universidad Católica Santiago de Guayaquil. (2010)
- Zapata Poveda, M. G. Sustainability as Driver of Architecture Practices: San Francisco Federal Building Case. Poster presentation. PLEA Passive and Low Energy Architecture, (2009)
- Zapata Poveda, M. G. Reglamento para la conservación del patrimonio edificado de Guayaquil. Magazine School of Architecture Universidad Católica Santiago de Guayaquil, 1-4. (2006)
- Zapata Poveda, G., Tweed C. (2011) Techniques embedding energy performance in the delivery of new non-domestic buildings - comparative case study. Article in progress.
- Alsaadani, S., Zapata Poveda, G. (2011) Deciphering the design process. Abstract accepted, full paper to be submitted for COBRA conference (2011)
- BRE Student Conference, Edinburgh (July 2011)
- Zapata Poveda, G., Tweed C. (2011) From Low Carbon Policy Intent to Design Practice. Oral presentation at PLEA 2011
- Zapata Poveda, G. (2010) Low Carbon UK Domestic Building Definition. Oral Presentation at Sustainable Building Conference (2010)
- BRE Student Conference, Bath (July 2010)
- Zapata Poveda G. (2012) Detailed design ethnography: architects embedding low carbon performance In: Smith S D (Ed) Procs 28th annual ARCOM conference, 3-5 September 2012, Edinburgh, UK, Association of Researchers in Construction Management, 1367-1377