Welsh School of Architecture

AHTG Postgraduate Study

Initial Enquiries

The Architectural History and Theory Group welcome enquiries from anyone interested in applying to study for an MPhil or PhD degree in areas relating to the interests and specialisms of the group. Before making a formal application it is advisable to get in touch informally by e-mail with the person whose interests are closest to your own. At this stage it is helpful if you can send a brief c.v., and outline the research topic that you have in mind. As far as possible you should explain your aims and objectives, proposed methods, the relationship of your proposal to previous work in the field, and how your own background and skills are suited to the topic.

Application procedure and further information

Postgraduate Study

General information on postgraduate study, including application procedure and a downloadable application form, can be found at: http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/for/prospective/pg/

Fees and Funding

A schedule of fees can be found at: http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/for/prospective/postgrad/study/fees.html. Note that degrees at the Welsh School of Architecture count as science-based for fee purposes.

Where funding needs to be applied for, applications need to be made well in advance of your proposed start date. In general the WSA is not able to fund postgraduate study, but prospective supervisors will often be willing to give advice and support to help your applications to other sources.

General information on funding can be found at: http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/for/prospective/pg/study/pgstudyfees/

For British students the main source of funding for architectural history and theory research is the AHRC: http://www.ahrc.ac.uk/

Overseas candidates should also look at: http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/for/prospective/pg/funding/index.html

For further information for students from South Asia, see under PRASADA.

English Language Requirements

In addition to the general entry requirements, students whose first language is not English or Welsh must give evidence of a sufficient level of English, normally with the following:

  • Band 6.5 of the International English Language Testing Service (IELTS) run by the British Council.

Postgraduate Study