Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


Support before going to university.

Cardiff University has a generous support package for students who are in and who have left care. This package has been designed for care leavers whose permanent residence is in the United Kingdom.


Confident Futures Project

This project is available to Looked after Children and Care Leavers between the ages of 15 – 19. Young people who join the project will have the opportunity to meet on a regular basis, at Cardiff University, with current university students who act as mentors. Young people will take part in:

  • social trips,
  • game nights,
  • university taster days
  • workshops to support studies and applications for college / university / jobs.

As part of the project, the young people will have access to university events such as GCSE / A Level revision workshops and advice sessions to support Personal Education Plans.


Confident Futures Summer School

The Confident Futures Summer School is a two-day event aimed at giving young people in care between the ages of 15 - 19 (Year 11+) the chance to experience student life in a safe and supported environment. The summer school includes an overnight stay in halls of residence, where young people are paired with university students to take part in everyday student activities – including:

  • shopping for food,
  • cooking dinner in student flats, going out for a meal,
  • taking public transport & taxis,
  • organising a social event and
  • finding their way around the campus.

For further information on the Confident Futures Project and Summer School, contact Scott McKenzie:


Returning to Study after a break?

For anyone who has already left school or college but is thinking about returning to learning, gathering the right information and feeling confident about each decision along the way is important.

For further information, contact our Undergraduate Recruitment Office. Tel: 029 2087 4455