We aim to demonstrate our commitment to the communities of Cardiff and Wales through knowledge exchange projects that help those who do not traditionally engage with us.
As well as creating projects and partnerships with communities we also welcome the public at many of our events and activities. They can access our facilities, from libraries to our physiotherapy clinic - or take Continuing and Professional Education courses.
We have five flagship engagement projects – known as our Transforming Communities programme – which work with communities on issues such as tackling poverty, boosting the economy, and improving health, education and wellbeing. The Welsh Government, the Welsh NHS and local authorities, among others, play important roles in the development of the projects.
The ideas and enthusiasm in the communities themselves are inspiring and we are channelling that into innovative schemes to bring long-lasting benefits. The communities play a major role in shaping the activities, drawing on their local knowledge. The five projects are:
We work closely with schools and colleges to support young people's learning so that they can achieve their potential. We want to encourage them to aspire to - and reach - higher education.
We are developing strategic partnerships with secondary schools to support and enrich the curriculum.
We run activities throughout the year which help pupils gain the necessary skills and experience needed to achieve a place at university. We run science and technology activities for schools that reach over 28,000 people.
Our academics and students support communities through access to research and specialist skills. Examples include:
- The Law Clinic - assists members of the community and vulnerable groups for which there is no legal aid.
- The CAER Heritage Project - a partnership between archaeologists and the communities of Ely and Caerau helping to connect communities with their heritage and develop educational opportunities.
- Cardiff Volunteering - based in the Students' Union, Cardiff Volunteering offers a wide variety of exciting projects to choose from.
- Student Volunteering Cardiff - an independent charity run by students studying in the City of Cardiff.
Download the report
- Telephone:+44 (0)29 2087 9653