Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu

Name Changes and Mergers

Like most of the United Kingdom’s large civic universities, Cardiff University has been shaped by the traditions of more than one institution. In Cardiff’s case, both its parent institutions traced their foundations to the nineteenth century. The Cardiff Arts and Science Schools began in 1866, while the University College of South Wales and Monmouthshire opened in 1883.

In time the Arts and Science Schools developed into the Cardiff Technical College which, in 1957, became the Welsh College of Advanced Technology. Ten years later the college was in turn transformed into the University in Wales Institute of Science and Technology (UWIST).

Meanwhile, the university college, established by Royal Charter, had adopted the public name of University College, Cardiff and this became its established title when it was formally approved by the Privy Council in 1972. By that date, the city of Cardiff had, as neighbours within its civic centre, two university institutions - University College, Cardiff and UWIST - with considerable overlap of subject provision and a growing number of shared activities. The two institutions merged in 1988.

Cardiff University and the University of Wales College of Medicine merged in 2004 to create a larger and more dynamic University with increased capabilities and capacities based on our unification and associated additional strategic investment.

Calendar of Events - More Information…